Views: 6430|Replies: 7

smell a rat?? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-6-23 16:22:16 |Display all floors
smell a rat. ??

Clinton Controversies Continue
    Well he may have left office last month but controversy surrounds the antics of Bill Clinton. On Wednesday the US Congress begins an investigation of Mr. Clinton's pardoning of the fugitive financier amid allegations he was influenced by political donations. But it's not the only scandal embroiling the former president since he left the White House.  
     No longer President, but still the center of attention. Beleaguered Bill Clinton was in Harlem today a predominantly black New York neighborhood where the former president now says he's going to set up an office.
    Clinton: I called Hillary and I asked my Senator first how she would feel about me coming to Harlem. And she loved it.
     In fact, he wanted his office in ultra-expensive midtown Manhattan. It was only after howls of protest about the exorbitant rent to be paid by the taxpayer that he changed his mind. In the 24 days since they left the presidency behind, the Clintons have been dogged by controversy. Much of it focused on the pardons issued by Bill Clinton in his final hours as president.
    Marc Rich, a millionaire fugitive accused of massive tax fraud and of illegal trading with Iran received a Clinton pardon and that's led to awkward questions about the close relationship evident at this awards dinner between the Clintons and Marc Rich's ex-wife Denise. Denise Rich has given big donations to the Democrats and to Bill Clinton's presidential library and she wanted her former husband pardoned.
    In Congress they smell a rat. The formal investigation has begun and even Bill Clinton's best political friends aren't defending him.
        Sen. Charles Schumer: I can't think of a single justification for the Rich pardon. It is wrong, wrong, wrong.
Then there's the furniture fiasco. The Clintons took $200,000 worth of furnishings from the White House. They since said they'd pay for many items but critics claim some of the things moved into the Clinton's New York home are in effect stolen property.
     Hillary Clinton: We complied with everything that Presidents and their families are expected to comply with and there really isn't anything to add to that.
   Today President Bush suggested that investigations into his predecessor's actions should soon be stopped. But that seems unlikely. Congressional Republicans think they've got Bill Clinton on the ropes and that s just where they want him.
    Steven Sacker-BBC News, Washington

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-23 16:32:06 |Display all floors
to smell a rat=to start to believe that something is wrong about a situation, especially that someone is being dishonest.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-23 16:54:09 |Display all floors
Where is your question?

Please make your question clear to others.Thanks.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-23 17:11:04 |Display all floors
Sen. Charles Schumer此人岂不是要求抬高人民币汇率的最活跃的一个。民主党人。
Coming as I did from a family with no income at all,and with no prospects whatever,college was the narrow door that led darkness into light.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-23 17:16:08 |Display all floors
smell a rat =发现有什么问题,不对劲的地方
never say never

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-23 17:33:23 |Display all floors
Flying:

It is a slang and you can find the entry in the dictionary.
Definition
<– Back to results

smell a rat
to recognize that something is not as it appears to be or that something dishonest is happening:
He's been working late with her every night this week - I smell a rat!

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/ ... 74911&dict=CALD
Talk in English rather than talking about English.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-6-23 23:03:23 |Display all floors
觉察有什么事不对劲.
觉察出有什么猫腻儿.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.