Author: voice_cd

Is China unfairly looked on by Western eyes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-10 21:50:51 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 10-5-2007 13:14
... does the person reflect the country, or the country reflect the person?

People reflect the country at least in part, as they are part of the country. Whereas the country tends to reflect on the person regardless of what their views/attitudes are.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 22:01:04 |Display all floors

So, you can take the person out of the country...

Originally posted by mencius at 2007-5-10 07:50
People reflect the country at least in part, as they are part of the country. Whereas the country tends to reflect on the person regardless of what their views/attitudes are.

So, you can take the person out of the country - but not take the country out of person?  It is an interesting debate - shall you or I table the discussion here and post a new thread here or another area?

TraderVic
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 22:35:41 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 10-5-2007 14:01

So, you can take the person out of the country - but not take the country out of person?

People reflect the country as together they make it up - though of course you shouldn't use the example of individuals to make generalisations. But whatever someone's views or "attributes" they will always be judged by foreigners in part on what the country "does".

So an American Democrat reflects part of the US political scene. But even though he/she is a Democrat, it is likely they will be judged in part by other people on the actions of a Republican President.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 22:51:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2007-5-10 22:35

People reflect the country as together they make it up - though of course you shouldn't use the example of individuals to make generalisations. But whatever someone's views or "attributes& ...

Trust you to come out of the woodworks with a pile of crap!

I have already judged you and you have been found wanting.
Do I judge England from an imbecile like you?
I think not.

Why don't you crawl back under that rock?
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 22:56:45 |Display all floors

Translation from Changlish to English

Originally posted by changabula at 10-5-2007 14:51

Trust you to come out of the woodworks with a pile of crap!

Translation

"I am incapable of understanding any meaningful statement on this subject, so I will respond with a rude comment to make myself look superior."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 23:11:07 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mencius at 2007-5-10 22:56

Translation

"I am incapable of understanding any meaningful statement on this subject, so I will respond with a rude comment to make myself look superior."

That was not a rude comment.
It was a simple observation that you have as much to contribute as a lunatic from a mental asylum.

OK For the sake of other readers, lets ask what exactly is mencius contributing?
Absolutely nothing. Zilch. Nil.

Its the stuck record phenomena with you.
Everything is based on pulling China and its people down.
Whatever the topic you will spew anti-China statements.
You are predictable, like some on this forum.
Even if we make the blandest of statements about the clouds, you will still make some anti-China comment about it.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 23:12:19 |Display all floors

A question of perception

Originally posted by mencius at 2007-5-10 08:35
People reflect the country as together they make it up - though of course you shouldn't use the example of individuals to make generalisations. But whatever someone's views or "attributes" they will always be judged by foreigners in part on what the country "does".

Ah, that may explain for changabula's rather unique rants towards others - but a question still remains:

Does a person's preceptions become influenced by the first encounter - a series of encounters - or the worse/best encounter?

TraderVic
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.