Author: voice_cd

Is China unfairly looked on by Western eyes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-11-30 22:44:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by voice_cd at 2007-5-9 09:20
many Westerners believe in the "China threat" theory because of their rooted prejudice and misunderstanding of China and its people.The way foreign countries deal with Chinese people is p ...

:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-4 15:29:06 |Display all floors

Some establishments have been done

To #162
Hi,
    Your suggestion is very constructive. There are KongZi(an influential ancient Chinese philosopher) Institute established gradually all over the world, aiming at introducing Chinese cultures and philosophies and helping improve mutual understanding. Such as Confucius Institute at KU, USA: http://www.confucius.ku.edu/about_ciku_chinese.shtml ; or London CI http://www.londonconfuciusinstitute.org.uk/aims.html
    I do agree to some extent with someone who has mentioned "PR" issue in this thread. Public Relation in government should be strengthened in the sense that China should participate in the "Dialogue" more frequently and confidently. It might be due to Chinese culture's "introvertedness" inclination that usually will take a back seat or keep silent other than "perform on the stage" or confront directly. It might make others misinterpret the "signals" as we all know similar reaction/behavior might "Imply" different things/intentions/attitudes - soft tone/tough tone etc.
    Furthermore, if we say "equality" and really mean it, then each culture should be respected by being accepted its own expression methods/traditions.
    We have much more diversity to enjoy in a multi-cultural environment.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-12-4 16:40:41 |Display all floors

I don't agree with you

Originally posted by projeka at 2007-10-9 15:19
But, then if you were to listen to or read the news in China, everything is good news about China.  Everything is "harmonious."  In China, if I want to hear news about the West, everythin ...

I don't think your statement is very objective. Media in China doesn't just cover good aspects; to some extent, there are just more Good news than Bad news in general which is reasonable . Don't state "Harmony" wrong. Harmony theme is to encourage people in society to be more tolerent/cooperative; it is the goal which needs whole nation's great effort to strive for.

Your second statement is Quite not true from my personal viewpoint, or even from a common sense. I think both chinese government and chinese people emphasize on other countries' contribution to human civilization, especially in recent hundreds of years made by western world.  Not only we get education on western civilization's achievements in many aspects, we also go abroad for studying ourselves.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.