Author: voice_cd

Is China unfairly looked on by Western eyes? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-9 20:49:30 |Display all floors

China needs to lose the "Small Man Syndrome"

Originally posted by zglobal at 2007-5-8 21:22
America spends 40% of the whole world's military budget.

Because the world acts and expects America to do all the "wet work" for them.

But let us steer this thread back on track.  China needs to lose the "Small Man Syndrome" if it really wants to stride the world like the Colossus it wants to be.  When you are the biggest, you are the biggest target - i.e. complaints in the past and present about America involvement, American rules, and so on.

Either you take it in stride and you advance in life or you get bogged down - getting angry with every preceived "threat" - a.k.a. Small Man Syndrome.  Ladies and Gentlemen, you think is bad now?  Trust me, you have not seen anything yet.  Imagine Russian skinheads beating Chinese students to death in St. Petersburg or Moscow.  Imagine Central American villagers lynching Chinese peace workers because they have been told "Chinese come to harvest children's organs".  Imagine a Chinese embassy in the Middle East being overrun and the embassy staff held for months.

What will be the reaction in China then?  Nuke them all?  Invade and kill everyone?  Negotation?  Filing Protest at the United Nations?  It is easy to wield the Iron Fist, it is hard to work the Velvet Glove.

And what about the United Nations?  Would China allow such an organization to exist in Shanghai or GuangZhou?  Having people from around the world, including people you hate and lothe, come to your country and slam you on a daily basis?  To have them laugh in your face as you let them come and go as they please in and out of your country?  To let them get away with murder, only to have them protected with "diplomic immunity"?  At this stage with China - I do not think so.

TraderVic
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 21:05:18 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 21:49:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chinadaily at 2007-5-9 09:24
The Chinese ambassador to Belgium wants young Chinese people to promote the nation's peaceful role in the world.

Madame Zhang Qiyue said this during a meeting with Chinese overseas students in Brussels to celebrate Chinese Youth Day on May 4.

Tell them all to go to hell, Madame Zhang!

These village idiots will always be critical of China and anything it does!
They are just plain jealous of how China is progressing.
They see it as some sort of threat to them.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 21:55:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wertynest at 2007-5-9 11:15
Nobody likes it when a country increases its military budget by two digits each year. International wars all started with that kind of figure.
Plus they are playing with numbers, as usual... And a ...

Why the hell don't you go and solve the problems in France?
There has been rioting after your elections.
Obviously a hell of a lot of people that are miserable and unhappy there.

Here you are only talking to a happy people who love their China.
Your words are empty and have absolutely NO MEANING!
You might as well be speaking into the wind.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 22:02:57 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2007-5-9 20:49

Because the world acts and expects America to do all the "wet work" for them.

But let us steer this thread back on track.  China needs to lose the "Small Man Syndrome" if ...

Haven't you anything better to do with your life than to keep spouting the same crud over and over again?
You are a SAD person!

Come on use some of that "intelligence" that has been forged in America and say something more meaningful.I have already told you what your problem is and that is you are judging the future from your little brain that has been totally "wired" from a western way. You need to live the life of a Chinese and look at events and situations from their point of view. Then you will be able to say something sensible.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-5-10 10:48 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 22:14:34 |Display all floors

What If? to WTF?

Originally posted by zglobal at 2007-5-9 07:05
I take your points but I think they are exaggerated.

Not so much exaggerations - but "what if?" scenarios.  Last thing anyone wants to see are situations like that - because no matter what the outcome, someone gets hurt.

Z, I would love to walk through the world without worry - but I lost my rose-coloured glasses a long time ago.  Nature of my job I guess.  Work as a goalkeeper long enough, and you begin to see everything as an incoming puck (or ball for you punters out there).

TraderVic
China's Eccentric 'Uncle Laowai' from Chicago, IL

http://blog.chinadaily.com.cn/home.php?mod=space&uid=135031&do=blog&view=me&from=space

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 22:16:58 |Display all floors
When you say "many westerners believe in the China threat theory", how many do you mean? How do you know that those who subscribe to this theory do so "because of their rooted prejudice and misunderstanding of China and its people"?

Many Chinese argue that westerners believe China is a threat, and base this on a presumption that these same westerners hold serious prejudices about China and it's people.

I feel that you have made some assumptions here, and perhaps should revisit your ideas.

I think this whole topic is a bit of a stretch really. Sure, some westerners think China is a threat, some don't and some couldn't give two hoots. But then to use this article to back up this argument really takes the cake:

Look at this for strong evidence: "These perceptions include when the horrific killings took place at Virginia Tech over two weeks ago, some media in the United States immediately thought the killer maybe of Chinese origin; and when Belgian authorities were concerned about stolen research and development secrets, local media claimed it was the work of a "Chinese students spy web" which was later proved groundless."

So some media thought that the killer maybe of Chinese origin - and this supports an argument that many westerners belive China is a threeat? huh???

And this: Local media claimed that a "Chinese students spy web" was responsible for stolen secrets. Since when is the local media outlets in Belgium the mouth-piece for the whole of western society?

I personally do not see China as a threat, as I am an optimist and from my time in China and the Chinese people I know, they are the same as all other people I know: some good, some bad, but generally friendly, pleasant and well-meaning - and based on the OP's logic, my comment here could be taken to represent the views of many westerners (and perhaps should).

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.