Views: 5886|Replies: 7

Topics for Colorful Domain Eng.Club(BJ) May 13 gathering [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-8 12:36:20 |Display all floors
Topics for Colorful Domain Eng. Club(BJ) May.13 Gathering

***********************************************************************************
                                   Colorful Domain English Club (Beijing)     

email:cdclub_bj@yahoo.com.cn
                                                       Since May 30, 2004   

***********************************************************************************

Time: 10.30am-12.30pm, May 13, 2007
Venue: Byone Western Restaurant 百万庄园西餐店(朝外联合大厦店)
(It'd be highly appreciated if you could get there by 10:20 a.m.)

How to get there:Take Loop Line of the Subway, get off at Chaoyangmen Station, and take Exit A, walk around the Ministry of Foreign Affairs clockwise. The restaurant is right opposite MOFA's southeastern entrance.  

Host & Impromptu Speech Host: Hudson
Meeting report writer: Joyce

TOPIC A:

Since he got neuritis(神经炎)last month,one of my best friends suffered from constant acute pains in his head every day. He went to see doctors of western medicine and traditional Chinese medicine respectively. Their diagnosis was almost the same, but their prescriptions were rather different. The western doctor prescribed a kind of strong painkiller against epilepsy(癫痫), while the traditional Chinese medicine doctor said NO to any kinds of painkiller and asked him to have some medicine, which promoted blood circulation and removed blood stasis(活血化淤). He,then, turned to massagists(按摩师) to relieve his headache, and took painkillers when he could not bear the pains. He's better but far from OK.

What do you think of western medicine and traditional Chinese medicine? Some assert that traditional Chinese medicine has so many superstitions and groundless presumptions, what's your view?  In case you are sick, which doctor would you go to see? Do you think whether my friend has made the right choice?

* Preparatory study is needed for discussion about this topic, or you wouldn't have much to say.

TOPIC B:

The coming Sunday, May 13, happens to be the World Family Day( 世界家庭日). How do you define FAMILY? What kind of family would you prefer? Around you are there any perfect families, or failed families? Let's share our views and stories.

[ Last edited by skylinker at 2007-5-8 08:42 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-8 19:02:07 |Display all floors

to Hudson

hello Hudson
i have known topic next time.i will be ready  for this topic which may be difficult  to me seriously.
----------------------------------------------------------
how to reduce and avoid chinglish.
Please give  me some advice.
the reason why i asked question is that i always make a mistake in my article.
do me a favor.
thank you..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-8 20:55:28 |Display all floors

to manchestergl

I'd like to repeat what I've said before, Suns, 1. Two hours' English study and practice at the Club every week is not enough for your English improvement. Many extra hours should be put into English study. 2. Next to improving English proficiency, we also need to enrich our knowledge in various aspects and enhance our logics. Therefore, I appreciate very much that you'd make some preparation for the discussion about Topic One, which might be somewhat difficult. We want to, and we should, learn new things on daily basis, and we're not repeating what we've known in order to make people think we can speak English well. No pains, no gains, you know.

About avoiding Chinglish, we can talk about that the coming Sunday. There're many ways we can turn to to accomplish that, but we'll never be free from mistakes, you should know. Anyway, there's a popular book《中式英语之鉴》 about how to avoid Chinglish, and it's available in almost all foreign book stores.

Good luck, Suns.

Hudson

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 00:19:01 |Display all floors

to Hudson

thank you for your advice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-9 12:23:39 |Display all floors

Good Topics

Let's find out the treatment difference between western way  and Chinese traditional one. And i love family talk!
Thank Hudson for arranging these two great topics for us.
See you guys soon!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-10 08:51:23 |Display all floors

:< )

I prefer traditional chinese medicine, but it is not so easy to find a good and appropriate doctor for you , I had tried sevel doctors, only one whose prescription work well, I also tried needle therapy because headache, the result was the same  as traditional chinese medicine, only one doctor can give me a good treatment and let me feel good, the others just make me feel painful and hurt my body and soul both!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-11 10:49:56 |Display all floors

traditional Chinese medicine + western medicine

" Western medicine is dominating now, while traditional Chinese medicine has been over its prime." I suppose the conclusion is true at the moment, and that's why I've come across many books and articles about how to recue our medical heritage, the traditional medicine. The traditional Chinese medicine remains magical and efficient in dealing with a big variety of diseases and maintaining health. In my point of view, the traditional medicine should integrate with the western medicine, make good use of the diagnosis methods of western medicine and renovate its own education system to ensure its comeback to our medical life.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.