Views: 6183|Replies: 14

87,345 Chinese became U.S. citizens in 2006 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-5-2 03:10:54 |Display all floors
87,345 Chinese became U.S. citizens in 2006

For 2005 is 69,967 and 2004 is 55,494.

Chinese immigration is increasing to America but I remember reading it's dropping to Canada, anyone know why?

http://www.dhs.gov/xlibrary/asse ... t_04vaccessible.pdf

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-2 04:05:00 |Display all floors
If it is true that immigration is dropping to Canada then perhaps recent events have something to do with it.

But firstly, is Canada making it more difficult for Chinese to become citizens or are less Chinese choosing Canada as their new home?

It is possible that Canada is becoming a less desirable choice in the eyes of the Chinese.
Consider:
Harboring the smuggler
Giving citizenship to a man considered a terrorist
Not a recognized tourist destination
Former PM meeting with the D. Lama
Publishing reports of organs for sale

Is it possible that Canada has lost some of its appeal?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-3 16:45:17 |Display all floors
because Canada is becoming more conservative.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-3 19:04:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wowzers at 2007-5-2 06:05
Consider:
Harboring the smuggler
Giving citizenship to a man considered a terrorist
Not a recognized tourist destination
Former PM meeting with the D. Lama
Publishing reports of organs for sale
Is it possible that Canada has lost some of its appeal?

Oh for f*ck's sake, Andrew? That's just ridiculous.

The smuggler issue is to do with Canadian law. The same laws which protect people from abuse by totalitarian states. The "smuggler" will have his day in court and the Canadian justice system will work it out, rather than reaching a convenient political decision as we see happening in some countries.

Not a "recognised tourist destination" is a silly political title bestowed on certain countries which suck up too much to Beijing (like Australia has done).

If anyone won't migrate to a country because it shows hospitality to the Dalai Lama, then that country is better off without them.

Many countries published organ reports, China denied them but went and changed all the rules regarding transplant regulations, to stop it happening again. Go figure.

Do we have numbers to back the claim Chinese migration is slowing to Canada?
Is it part of the normal ebb and flow?
Are those Chinese migrants to the US fully appraised of all the dreadful things about the USA which are detailed daily here in the CD forum?
Maybe Mengzhi, Chunderbags, Northwest, Jetsam and US resident Tongluren should warn them off, or maybe it's precisely what these clowns say which make would-be migrants more interested in going to the USA!

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-5-3 09:06 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-6 14:11:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-5-3 19:04

The smuggler issue is to do with Canadian law. The same laws which protect people from abuse by totalitarian states. The "smuggler&qu ...             Do we have numbers to back the claim Chinese migration is slowing to Canada?

http://chineseinvancouver.blogsp ... -by-22-in-2006.html

Chinese immigrants drop by 22% in 2006 Q1-2; India closing in

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-6 20:45:13 |Display all floors
Mostly because of Canadian government stances concerning Chinese immigration.
1.Apparently the general feeling is that there has been a change in the general condition of living in China as well as the governments relations with other gov'ts. Therefore Chinese people aren't being accepted out of pity/asylum etc.. anymore, they are being accepted on virtues and how they can contribute.
2. In the wake of the whole 911 problem, we have tightened regulations a bit.

I highly doubt that someone that is leaving China for Canada is going to feel that sticking with their law and giving Mr. Lai fair treatment is a 'strike against Canada', or that they are not abandoning Mr. Celil in his darkest time is a reason to NOT go to Canada.
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-11 13:48:47 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-5-3 19:04

The smuggler issue is to do with Canadian law. The same laws which protect people from abuse by totalitarian states. The "smuggler&qu ...

Coming from emucentral, who's ancestors were probably the Officials in charge of the Opium War, this piece of c*rap is insanely funny to read.  

I highly recommend it, after all, laughter is the best medicine.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.