Author: changabula

Do You Have An Open Mind? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-28 10:04:18 |Display all floors
I believe there is no such thing as being truly open minded , we all gather our information from known sites and books of wisdom , all of which cater to a particular viewpoint and therefore are biased , goegraphical location plays a large part in what information you have ready access to and what information you have garnered during your life education , these thought systems and belief's are ingrained and therefore preclude you from having that open mind , I am guilty of putting my views ahead of other people with a different upbringing and therefore a different knowledge base , given these conciderations is it actualy possible to be open minded ?
There are no Ugly women , only those with low self esteem .

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-28 10:16:41 |Display all floors

I believe there's a continuum for most of us, if not every one

for most people, I believe, there's no clear-cut answer to this question. Instead, there's a continuum of open-mindedness. Each of us is just at different part of it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-28 10:23:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cyberspook at 2007-4-28 10:04
I believe there is no such thing as being truly open minded , we all gather our information from known sites and books of wisdom , all of which cater to a particular viewpoint and therefore are bia ...

Well said. Since we are how and where we are brought up and educated, our knowledge and beliefs are dictated by the environment we live in. The awareness of this fact is the first step we take in our march toward open-mindedness.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-28 16:13:54 |Display all floors
open mind. honorably, i not dare to say it.
i think i am a little girl with small mind.
i will feel bad when others not agree with me.
i will be angry  if feeling cheated.
i will envy when i see someone have plenty wealth to get something interesting, excellent.
but after one day or less time, i will be myself. anything is satisfied.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-29 04:05:21 |Display all floors
"An open mind is all very well in its way, but it ought not to be so open that there is no keeping anything in or out of it. It should be capable of shutting its doors sometimes, or may be found a little draughty."
-- Samuel Butler
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-29 04:09:34 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cyberspook at 2007-4-28 03:04
I believe there is no such thing as being truly open minded , we all gather our information from known sites and books of wisdom , all of which cater to a particular viewpoint and therefore are bia ...

Hmm, very agreeable...very agreeable indead:)

But some are surely more open minded than others, it's just hard to define what it is that make them so.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-29 04:45:54 |Display all floors
An open mind to me  is the ability to understand  new ideas or opinions from different prespectives.

The emphasis is on the 'understanding' of new ideas and opinions but acceptance of  them is not necessary.

People  can be conservative, have high morals and be open minded. They can understand others' ideas easily  because they know where they are coming from.

People who are well travelled, well read, agnostic, exprienced are more open minded.

However, when one is  debating, he or her has  to stick to their side of the argument and believes it is absolutely true in order to win.  So open minded or not is irrelevant.

[ Last edited by amelieuk at 2007-4-30 11:03 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.