Author: changabula

Do You Have An Open Mind? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-26 18:48:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tekvicious at 2007-4-26 02:02
I try to be openminded. I think it's not as important as being objective. Or are they both the same thing?

I think one have to be open minded in order to be objective or else one will automatically shut out or degrade the importance of certain factors that doesn't fit one's own subjective conception. This at least the first I can think of, but i'm not sure yet how we define open minded and what it means for different persons. I think it might be diffrent, and might question if there's even such a thing.

And for me "open minded" is not a question of trying, it's more something one either is or isn't. And one might have an open mind on one particular field, while at others one doesn't. An example; one either tolerate's gays and lespians or one doesn't, but if you can't you can off course try and figure out why and whether or not your reasons holds any ground or if it's any of your business. And off course there's also a blurry ambivalence in between...

I personally think it wrong to think religous people can't be open minded. It's just so much more obvious when they aren't. Besides the west ain't no more religuos than China, and there are plenty of closed minded chinese on this forum.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-27 07:02:37 |Display all floors
Originally posted by safaribehn at 2007-4-26 18:48

and there are plenty of closed minded chinese on this forum

Give us an example.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-27 09:08:04 |Display all floors
My view on open-mindedness is that you have to be able to be objective in your critique of ideas and statements...but not so openminded that you say "maybe he's right" to everyone that has a brainfart.
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-27 21:40:36 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-4-27 00:02

Give us an example.

Hehe, don't believe me do you? I could off course give you names, but I've already started one quarrel to many.

[ Last edited by safaribehn at 2007-4-27 02:51 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-27 21:48:35 |Display all floors
I say you don't have to accept everything, only ask yourselve if the case really is any of your concern:)

And when handing out critique of ideas and statements, objectivity is the most important indead. I just think an open mind goes beyond that and lets you be objective in your reasoning. maybe...

[ Last edited by safaribehn at 2007-4-27 02:49 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-28 02:28:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by safaribehn at 2007-4-27 21:48
I say you don't have to accept everything, only ask yourselve if the case really is any of your concern:)

And when handing out critique of ideas and statements, objectivity is the most important ...

This sounds like a good way of looking at all things in general.

It is good advice not to allow yourself to be bullied into accepting the other person beliefs by their guilt-tripping accusation that you have a closed mind because you don't enthusiastically agree with them right from the outset!
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-28 03:48:51 |Display all floors
deleted   :)

[ Last edited by thetruthbut at 2007-4-28 12:00 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.