Author: changabula

Do You Have An Open Mind? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-24 07:34:07 |Display all floors
Another supicious behaviour, i think, is when the debators starts dragging in long and teadious articles as proof for their viewpoint and starts banging each other in the head with even longer and longer "proofs", the one more teadious than the other and noone seems to read them (no wonder). And then instead of debating the newly arrived information they start accusing each other of being too covardess to admit fault or brainwashed and unwilling to read,and with the insults the nasty bit begins: the usual who killed who, who killed the most, who's got the dumbest president(ehh...america, hushhh! ), when it happened, why and so on....Or the worst one of all...; they say your english is bad(Auch! that really hurt )

Very funny!   So next time, I'm not going to drag long articles, but only provide the link.  :)  But you do have a good point though.  

Are we open minded?   How about let's first define what is open mind?   Or more specifically, what is the right attitude for open mind-ness in a debate?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 16:02:43 |Display all floors
A simple and short definition of being open minded is the ability to be receptive to [mostly new] ideas and things; to walk a path one is reluctant to use, or is unsure about.

Caution:
You might say that to be open-minded is to be adventurous. But when one is adventurous, one should also be cautious.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-4-24 04:11 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 16:10:20 |Display all floors
An open mind in Religion?

In religion, we are asked, and sometimes told, to be open-minded, but some of those who are sure of the existence of God aren't always satisfied with someone simply being "receptive" to the possibility of existence; they all but insist that skeptics should "accept" the possibility, if not the probability of existence, and sometimes without question.

They fail to see the irony of their request for us to have an open mind, all the while displaying their own tightly sealed minds on the matter.

Chinese Proverb:
A closed mind is like a closed book; just a block of wood.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-26 04:50:52 |Display all floors
duplicate  

[ Last edited by thetruthbut at 2007-4-27 02:15 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-26 05:31:43 |Display all floors
again   

[ Last edited by thetruthbut at 2007-4-27 02:15 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-26 08:53:18 |Display all floors
Interestingly, I'm reading a book, "The God Delusion"  by Richard Dawkins, a professor of Cambridge and Harvard.  Here is a paragraph of the book:  

““A widespread assumption, which nearly everybody in our society accepts – the non-religions included – is that religious
faith is especially vulnerable to offense and should be protected by an abnormally thick wall of respect, in a different class from
the respect that any human being should pay to any other.  Douglas Adams put is so well, in an impromptu speech made in
Cambridge shortly before his death that I never tire of sharing his words:  

“Religion has certain ideas at the heart of it which we call sacred or holy or       whatever.  What it means is ‘Here is an idea or
a notion that you’re not allowed to say anything bad about; you’re just not.  Why not? – because you’re not!’ …Why should it be
that it’s perfectly legitimate to support this model of economics versus that, Macintosh instead of Windows – but to have an
opinion about how the Universe began, about who created the Universe … no, that’s holy? …””

This is one of the plus sides of our culture.  We’re not as religious as our western counterpart.  Therefore, our vision is not obstructed by the religions righteous views.  And we are often able to look at issues more open minded.  

With all the religious fanatics today, the book offered an alternative look at life.   I wish the book could be translated and introduced to more Chinese readers.

[ Last edited by thetruthbut at 2007-4-26 08:59 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-26 09:02:22 |Display all floors
I try to be openminded. I think it's not as important as being objective. Or are they both the same thing?
"Finch...stay away from that Ficus! That's a jizz-free Ficus."- Steve Stiffler

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.