Views: 9185|Replies: 33

Do You Have An Open Mind? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-23 23:17:06 |Display all floors
Most people claim that they have an open mind.

How do you know if you have got one? How would you recognise an open minded person?
Does gender, wealth, education or where you come from play a part?

A good example are the forumites here who think that they are open minded but could be deceiving themselves. This can be seen in the many discussions that are taking place.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 00:41:23 |Display all floors

Don't be so hard...

Please don't be so hard on China apologists and fanatics.  China is a powerful, rising power that they should be proud to be supporting and singing the praises of.

They are just a little misguided when the bash other nations and forumites.

It is just a question of maturation and learning a little humility.  All will be fine.  Just give them time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 02:15:13 |Display all floors
Good question, hehe. Know what you mean, but don't know.

I consider myself kind of openminded, if I may be so brave, but i'm also kind of conservative in terms of ethics, but not morale. This is kind of a paradox I imagine and maybe why i'm just fooling myself:)

I also like to tease people I concider not to be open minded.., people who in my eyes think small, if you know what I mean. Those who only see things from within their own viewpoint and within the boundries of the setting, never put on different glasses or explore the surroundings.

I think that when your thinking is not limitid by your limits as a person, then you might by kind of open minded.

And when you read a furious and twodimentional debate on chinadaily.cn and see the faults and weaknesses in both contestors, in a way that their both right and wrong at the same time, i don't know if your ignorant , arrogant or open minded, really...

Wasn't it Zhuangzi who ment we shouldn't think we are anything, because whatever we think we are it's anyway so small in the big picture we wouldn't know. And when we know that we don't know, first then we are wise. Or something like that. I think it's some truth in it, but now i've probably strolled way along, sorry just love the topic

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 04:09:11 |Display all floors
Originally posted by safaribehn at 2007-4-24 02:15
Good question, hehe. Know what you mean, but don't know.

I consider myself kind of openminded, if I may be so brave, but i'm also kind of conservative in terms of ethics, but not morale. This ...

It is quite common for those engaged in a discussion to admonish those who don't accept their views as not having an open mind. However, could it be that when they tell us to have an open mind, they are really telling us that we should have a "closed" mind. That is to say, are many of those who are counseling us to have an open mind actually telling us that we should think, feel, see, and believe as they do? In other words, be as close-minded as they are.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 05:10:07 |Display all floors

You pose a truly fascinating question.

And requires a great deal of reflection to answer honestly.
And where to begin?
I am going to give it some thought and get back to you.

While I do that, I will leave you with a question.
Am I open minded?

It is one thing to attempt to answer your question.
But wouldn't it  be interesting to hear what others have to think about us?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 06:27:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wowzers at 2007-4-23 22:10
And requires a great deal of reflection to answer honestly.
And where to begin?
I am going to give it some thought and get back to you.

While I do that, I will leave you with a question.
Am I ...

Oh ehh, I dindn't think about that, hope I don't joke to much. Making an ass of myself so early on in the discussion

Some more thoughts though:

Originally posted by changabula at 2007-4-23 21:09

It is quite common for those engaged in a discussion to admonish those who don't accept their views as not having an open mind. However, could it be that when they tell us to have an open min ...

I guess sometimes this might be true when someone who think he or she is really open-minded, is just being politically correct. This can be very problematic, because being politcally correct in the West is probably very different from being the same in China or somewhere else, i reckon. It's like the person just repeats some widely agreed-upon values and "truths" from the country that he or she lives in, and thinks "surely this have to be universal?!?"

But I think someone might utter this out of pure frustration as well.

Another supicious behaviour, i think, is when the debators starts dragging in long and teadious articles as proof for their viewpoint and starts banging each other in the head with even longer and longer "proofs", the one more teadious than the other and noone seems to read them (no wonder). And then instead of debating the newly arrived information they start accusing each other of being too covardess to admit fault or brainwashed and unwilling to read,and with the insults the nasty bit begins: the usual who killed who, who killed the most, who's got the dumbest president(ehh...america, hushhh! ), when it happened, why and so on....Or the worst one of all...; they say your english is bad(Auch! that really hurt )

Could have been a discussion about flowers for all I know. Could this be symptomous behaviour?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-24 06:40:15 |Display all floors
But wouldn't it  be interesting to hear what others have to think about us?

Would be cool I think, noone seems to answer my post(hehe poor me), but I'm probably too new:)

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.