Views: 5269|Replies: 6

Report on Colorful Domain Eng.Club Apr.15 Gathering(written by Hudson) [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-16 21:14:53 |Display all floors
Who told the shortest story in the world? Could it be Ernest Hemingway (海明威)? The late (已故的) world-known American novelist had ever written a story in six words: "For sale: baby shoes, never worn." In our Club, the shortest-story teller is Flora, a with-it lady, who joined our club 2 months ago. And this is the shortest story she originated yestermorning: A Fuwa (福娃, formerly named Friendly), in his childhood, ate an apple, swam and did some Yoga. It was very short, wasn't it? It pictured Fuwa's healthy life, didn't it? As a matter of fact, she didn't mean to make any controversy because she was forced to do it, forced by Joyce, our hostess for Apr.15 gathering.

Undoubtedly, it was getting tougher and tougher for a host to design the Impromptu Speech Section, a challenge of response and logics. Joyce, in simple and well-tailored dress, introduced a game of telling stories. Each candidate was supposed to, with 5 words written on a slice of paper prepared by Joyce,immediately tell a story no longer than 4 minutes. Flora drew the following 5 words: CHILDHOOD, APPLE, FUWA, SWIM and YOGA. She hesitated to try, but, as encouraged by Joyce, she told the above shortest story I'd ever heard before. In my personal point of view, her story was as good as Hemingway's, or at any rate not worse. Besides, Lillian told a story and portrayed an imaginary Oscar Award held in China. She was patriotic. But she was also quite cynical about lawful operation if Oscar would be in China. Would the Chinese film people be able to prove their innocence? I'm as skeptical as Lillian. Crystal made up a story about Olympics. As for the details of her story, please consult her directly. Sorry, Crystal, I had a blackout then due to the noisy coffee machine at the further corner of the restaurant. Joyce brought us a good game, and we may do that again some other time. I love this game!

Let's rewind to the very beginning of the gathering. Before Joyce took the floor, Hudson delivered his opening speech, a weekly routine for the President. Hudson, actually, told two stories in his speech, about Zi You (子尤) and Zhou Daguan (周大观,台湾), 2 cancer-stricken teenagers who were gifted in literature, courageous against terminal diseases, and optimistic about life. "Both of them have been deceased, but they remain alive in my heart, and for ever." Hudson remarked emotionally: "we should learn from the two boys to look at the bright side and remain optimistic whatever tragedies happen." Hudson also pinpointed the importance of being mentally strong and healthy in such an epoch of transformation, variety, frustration and moral crisis.

Together with green grass and flowers in blossom, the spring also brings back better attendance. Yesterday 22 participants joined the gathering, including 4 new members, i.e. Candy (Carrefour manager), Keely (Ellie's friend), Christina (business assistant) and Caesar (an IT engineer).

I had no single worry about Melanie's proficiency in English, but I wasn't quite sure about her public speaking skills. She was the prepared speaker yesterday, and it turned out to be entirely unnecessary to worry about her competence. The girl possessed herself during her maiden speech about creativity, and her speech was clear-structured and rich in statistics and testimonies, though accused by several members of excessive confusing numbers. Melanie displayed her great capacity and potential, and we're looking forward to more excellent performances.

Amber asked Joyce several days before for privilege to make an extra speech next to Melanie. She was eager to speak out, and she wanted to share her ideas with her audiences. That's a key for an outstanding speaker, isn't it? Amber narrated a bloody tragedy due to the deep-rooted apathy and violence of our society, and she called for companion with tears in her eyes. She's a girl of responsibility for our club and the society as well.

As Joyce nominated, Hudson evaluated those two speeches. He sang high praise for Melanie's self-possession and statistics, and Amber's emotion and artistic appeal. He, however, also pointed out that Melanie should stress the key numbers and prepare more. As for Amber, she should not have turned to Christian doctrines to support her ethical opinions in order to avoid argument because of different religious beliefs, in spite of her mastery of Christianity.

I'd like to have Roger with us every Sunday. He was always being witty, naughty and clear-minded. Nevertheless, once you're hosting or making a speech, you have to be cautious about your pronunciation and expressions because he would, surely, find faults with whatever you say. For instance, when you make up your mind to "pursue my goal", Roger would ask you to clarify whether you are saying "pursue my girl." He's funny, and also conscientious about academic and moral standards of all the club members.

Ellie, Hudson, Frank and Crystal represented their respective tables to deliver a presentation about either healthy life or childhood, the two topics carefully proposed by Joyce. Candy, no doubt, lived a carefree life. Every Saturday she went horse-riding in the far suburbs of Beijing, and she spent 3 hours on the horseback and 4 hours on the shuttle bus. On the contrary, Caesar drank a big quantity of rice liquor and coffee every night in order to concentrate on his creative computer work. Frank was always being philosophical, classifying healthy life into internal and external modality. Ellie's group burst into fits of laughter, and we found in their childhood boys fought with their elder sisters, girls with elder brothers, but all of them were beaten. The representative of Group IV was Crystal. She summarized about Harmonious Psychology, a training course she joined weeks ago. She conveyed a theory of love hormone to her audience. According to Crystal, you were supposed to hold one hand of your husband/wife or boyfriend/girlfriend for 30 minutes, and a kind of substance of love hormone, quoted by Crystal, was produced and circulated within the bodies of you and your partner. Why don't we have a try as long as we have suitable hands to take hold of?

[ Last edited by skylinker at 2007-4-17 12:17 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-18 12:44:19 |Display all floors

Thank You Hudson, for your good job on it.

It's really a challenging job i.e. writing meeting reports and especially a nice report like how Alhaji and Hudson did.
Regardless of  the challenge of recalling what exactly happened, the writing skills,context,grammar, words chosen,sense of humor,none of them is  that easy  to build up. I got so much to learn and improve!
Got to practise more.

[ Last edited by joycezou at 2007-4-18 12:51 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 08:54:32 |Display all floors
hi , hudson, I love your report, like many interesting and funny storys , and I really enjoy reading it, besides I can tell u my impromptu speech is something about Zhangziyi want to do something for Olympic before or after labor holidays ,and she would like to deliver a research first.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 11:33:23 |Display all floors

up!

up!

[ Last edited by fatemaster at 2007-4-20 10:46 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-20 11:40:37 |Display all floors

to Crystal

I'm always being flattered by you, which reminds me my better and better performance could deserve your comments.

I wrote down the five words you got, but due to the noisy coffee machine at the other end of the restaurant, I could hardly catch your story. It was my fault because I should've prepared a megaphone against audio disturbance.

Hudson

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-6 17:49:08 |Display all floors
IT sounds interesting,doesn't it?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-5-7 16:01:59 |Display all floors

to Kugua1225

Thank you, Kugua1225.

The report works as a record or description about the gathering process. As long as you join the gathering, the report will bring you back to it.

Hudson

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.