Author: yungchieh

Photos: Another occurence of Italian Racism against Chinese people [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-14 16:12:53 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2007-4-14 11:08
how white of you...

chairmans mother and father and uncles..

are expendable..

My sympathies to you too, Chairman. It's just that Sock's loss was quite recent, and from what little I know of you, I assume your loss happened less recently.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2007-4-14 16:20:24 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 17:21:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2007-4-14 18:20
Emucentral...

please...read this thread...

for the first time in 4 years..

I AM UNABLE TO REPLY

THE MIND BOGGLES

----------------------------------------

I've already read this thread.
I don't like the idea of police hitting civilians, Chinese or otherwise.
I don't know if it was racially motivated, rather parking ticket motivated.

Other than that, I don't know what you're boggling about.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 18:47:53 |Display all floors

Is the law applied and enforced more often and more harshly on Chinese?

I do not know whether and what rules have been broken by the Chinese driver and merchants, but the brutish response by the Milan police seems totally inappropriate.

Riot police with body armour, shields and batons certainly seems an over-use of force when dealing with  offences of such nature. They are more suitable for dealing with violent, drunken soccer hooligans.

Case Study 1: NYPD in Chinatown, NY

By way of comparison, the small businesses in Chinatown, New York, often display their wares on the pedestrian walks. It breaks the city's by-laws and it often annoyed me, but the NYPD ignores that because it is so petty and the NYPD is totall overworked.

On one ocassion that I read about, the NYPD descended on the Bowery, asked assertively that they bring the wares back into their shops, and in a few cases the NYPD threw them back in. The owners were given  verbal warnings not to display their wares on pedestrian walks again

That's seemed to me an approriate use of force. No riot gears and no shields and batons necessary. You don't want to upset the NYPD too much.

Case Study 2: Burly  parking officer grap Chinese mom offender in Melbourne

A mom stops at a no-stopping zone so that her small children (all under ten) can go to the toilet urgently. On getting back into the car, a burly parking officer came sprinting out of the restaurant, grabbed her by her wrist; restrainted her and gave a parking ticket for stopping in a no-stop zone.

I know this woman, a waitress who always served me with a smile whenever I eat there. She's small and timid, she was also nursing a bruised wrist. She paid the ticket and was too frightened to report the assault, being a new migrant who hasn't got Australian citizenship.

Sure, she commited a traffic offence, has anyone here stopped at a no-stop zone? But to grab her by the wrist like that seems an excessive use of force, the smaller children were traumatised and cried. I would have sued the council.

Racism involved

Now the likes of Emuc will tell you that these people have broken the regulations therefore the full force of the law and a beating with batons is justifiable.

Funny that, I have seem German, British and esp American tourists breaking local laws, but no Italian police charged  them with riot gears, and beat them up with batons.

Yes, racism comes in different degrees, when laws are enforced more rigourously and excessive force is used on one particular group, then that constitutes racism.

[ Last edited by cestmoi at 2007-4-14 06:51 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 18:58:27 |Display all floors

Not so petty crime

Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2007-4-14 06:22
Oh chill out, chairman. I'm not saying that was the case; I'm suggesting hypotheticals to demonstrate to you that the world is more than black and white. Anyway, those photos aren't of the woman; t ...

Whilst in Melbourne, my place was burgled twice; my car (a Commodore, I think you call that a Chevrolet in USA?) was stolen; and one mobile phone was pick-pocketed.

Sorry to hear about your mom.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 22:02:49 |Display all floors
And chairman, I don't see what your insinuations that I'm a lesbian or rape victim has to do with racism. I'm not sure why I mentioned my mom; I should've known you wouldn't care. Basically I'm sick of your crap--character assassination when you disagree with someone is so third-grade. Disagree with me all you want, but do it respectfully, or you give me no reason to respect you.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 22:37:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by cestmoi at 2007-4-14 20:47
A mom stops at a no-stopping zone so that her small children (all under ten) can go to the toilet urgently. On getting back into the car, a burly parking officer came sprinting out of the restaurant, grabbed her by her wrist; restrainted her and gave a parking ticket for stopping in a no-stop zone.
....She paid the ticket and was too frightened to report the assault, being a new migrant who hasn't got Australian citizenship.
Sure, she commited a traffic offence, has anyone here stopped at a no-stop zone? But to grab her by the wrist like that seems an excessive use of force, the smaller children were traumatised and cried. I would have sued the council.

Absolutely. As far as I am concerned, that is assault, citizenship or not.
I wish she had sued, she would have most certainly have won the case. I know it's too late now, but challenging the fine and explaining the assault would have got the fine withdrawn and the officer reprimanded if not dismissed.

Now the likes of Emuc will tell you that these people have broken the regulations therefore the full force of the law and a beating with batons is justifiable.

Bullsh!t. Don't attribute me with the prejudices you'd like me to have to help justify your own narrowmindedness.

Funny that, I have seem German, British and esp American tourists breaking local laws, but no Italian police charged  them with riot gears, and beat them up with batons.

Um, do these tourists regularly and consistently break council bylaws regarding the operation of commercial premises ?
Can you remind me of how Italian and German police handle soccer hooligans from Britain ?

Let me reiterate. While the Italian police appear to have over-reacted to the event, I would hesitate to call it a racially motivated attack until further details emerge. Surely there's going to be some investigation into this.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.