Author: yungchieh

Photos: Another occurence of Italian Racism against Chinese people [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-13 21:18:25 |Display all floors
emu and cohort:

Before you pat yourselves on the back, read again Post #3. If racism was not involved why would the various quotes made by the Chinese show it?

Oh, I suppose they were just imagining it as they were throwing their heads against the police batons!

Irish Joker:

Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-4-13 20:56
What I do find ironic about Chang's reaction to all this, though, is that, were the shoe on the other foot, as it were, and hundreds of foreigners in Shanghai were involved in running battles with the Gongan, I'm certain he'd have no qualms chalking the clashes up to the misbehaving barbarian yangren.

Oh, I see. Now you are making out that they were not protesting peacefully but were having running battles with the police like a bunch of football thugs, hooligans and yobs!

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-4-13 09:24 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 21:19:09 |Display all floors

Hmmm...

Seems the Milan City Government is saying that the riot broke out as a result of a crackdown on illegal parking in the city's ethnic Chinese district. They say that the police have refrained from putting the new parking restrictions into affect until now, and that the crackdown has upset the Chinese, who then began to protest and attack the police.

The Chinese are saying that the police are singling the Chinese out for harassment and that the confrontation that sparked the riot broke out after a policeman struck the child of the woman being ticketed, after which a crowd of over 200 came to her defence.

The Northern Alliance is placing the blame on the Chinese community, saying that they are insular and make it impossible for the authorities to co-operate with them. Others are blaming the authorities themselves, questioning why they have not dealt with this issue of illegal parking much sooner than this.

All looks rather messy. I must say that I was quite suprised to see this story - it may very well be the first ever large-scale riot in a European Chinese community.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 21:31:52 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-4-13 23:18
Before you pat yourselves on the back, read again Post #3. If racism was not involved why would the various quotes made by the Chinese show it?

Well both the local merchants involved and the police are going to put forward a view which favours their own case.

Some will claim it's a racist attack and an overreaction by police against peaceful protests against parking fines.
Others will claim that the merchants violently rioted when the police finally started enforcing traffic regulations.

There are two sides to the story and both sides are being reported by western media (and one side by other media!). Unfortunately there are some who are using this unfortunate event to push their own political agendas, on both sides of the debate.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2007-4-13 21:34:28 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 22:23:04 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2007-4-13 21:34
The Italian police beat a Chinese woman with a three year old child in Milan today

Yes, chairman, I suppose that the three year old was heavily armed with a submachine gun and grenades. So the police had no option but to attack the child and her mother in order to defend themselves.

Well thats what some of the racists on this forum are defending.

What a bunch of cowards!
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-14 05:47:09 |Display all floors
Quick question for chairman--how do you know it was racially motivated?

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2007-4-14 05:49:13 |Display all floors
Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.