Author: yungchieh

Photos: Another occurence of Italian Racism against Chinese people [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-13 15:23:45 |Display all floors
Very sad to see this sorry.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 15:56:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by admchengho at 2007-4-13 10:43
Discrimination against the Chinese people are everywhere in the world. I have yet to see things the other way round.

Um, it looks to me like a simple story of businesses ignoring the rules and the amenity of local residents and being accountable like everyone else. And when they got the fines for breaking the local laws they started some sort of protest and threw stuff at the police.

Now all residents and businesses need to follow the law, there should be no special dispensation to Chinese owned businesses or Italian native owned businesses.

If these people were being targetted simply because they were Chinese, that is simply wrong.
If they were being prosecuted because they broke council bylaws then there's nothing wrong or racist about that.

This is being presented by some as a racist attack on Chinese migrants in Italy, whereas in reality it looks like a crackdown on a long standing problem of the law being ignored by business owners who just happen to be of Chinese ethnicity.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 17:11:44 |Display all floors
Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-4-13 15:56

Um, it looks to me like a simple story of businesses ignoring the rules and the amenity of local residents and being accountable like everyone else. And when they got the fines for breaking the ...

emu:
Looks like you have already acted like a judge and jury of the whole episode.
How unwise and stupid of you!

It is amazing that the Chinese, who are usually mild mannered, would engage in picketing. This situation must have really been "the final straw that broke the camel's back"!

As to racism? The Italians have always been noted for it! This is not surprising.

[ Last edited by changabula at 2007-4-13 05:14 PM ]
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 17:18:54 |Display all floors
i don't think this conflict is about discrimination.
maybe what we need to do is just calm down and think it twice.
i doubt that one of the causes to this tragedy is that some chinese in Milan took a simple
accident to a discrimination against chinese. then an unnecessary tragedy happened, bringing about a serious controversy and a series of international issues.
if we try to see all these things from anther perspective, problems could be solved easily. just
try to think a little bit.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 19:33:28 |Display all floors

Reference #10 --- changabula's post...

changabula made this comment about post # 9:

"Looks like you have already acted like a judge and jury of the whole episode.
How unwise and stupid of you!"

The post presented the opinion that, if the Chinese businessmen were breaking Italian law, there was nothing wrong with issuing tickets for violations.  And to take action and disperse the crowd if the demonstrators began to become unruly/violent.  The opinion presented was that this may have been simply a case where the businessmen violating the law were Chinese ethnicity.

The post also pointed out that, if the police/locality WERE specifically targeting Chinese businessmen, then it was definitely wrong.

I agree.  If the businessmen were Italian citizens, or legal aliens, they should take the grievances to the local government.

I don't understand how changabula could have made the mistake of reading post #9 as if emucentral had made a judgement without knowing all of the facts/details.  Looks like he has changed the meaning of post #9 to fit what he wants emucentral to have said.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 19:56:30 |Display all floors
Originally posted by changabula at 2007-4-13 19:11
emu:
Looks like you have already acted like a judge and jury of the whole episode.
How unwise and stupid of you!

Here we have a classic case of the hypocrisy of Chunderama (and thankyou BTW for your sensible posts, Nosferatu and Yanzhilezhi).

Here's a bit of "judge and jury" stuff which Chunkybollocks apparently doesn't object to, as it suits his racist beliefs.

Originally posted by yungchieh at 2007-4-13 09:13
Photos: Another occurence of Italian Racism against Chinese people

Please spread the news, as a result of local laws issued to discriminate against Chinese People working in Milan. The Italian police beat a Chinese woman with a three year old child in Milan today.

Now young Yungchieh has apparently made up his mind what it's all about.

As Nosferatu (who, unlike Chunderbags, obviously possesses some reading and comprehension skills) has worked out, my post suggested that it may not have been entirely as Yungchieh has claimed.

Originally posted by emucentral at 2007-4-13 17:56
If these people were being targetted simply because they were Chinese, that is simply wrong.
If they were being prosecuted because they broke council bylaws then there's nothing wrong or racist about that. ...

Now let's be quite clear. I am not claiming that Italy (or any other country) is magically free of any racism at all, but Chunderbuckets clearly has a racist view of Italians.

As to racism? The Italians have always been noted for it! This is not surprising.

In conclusion, one must not overlook Changalang's claim that Chinese people possess virtues of meekness and tolerance uncommon in the rest of the world.
It is amazing that the Chinese, who are usually mild mannered, would engage in picketing. This situation must have really been "the final straw that broke the camel's back"!

Now while I must admit all the Chinese-Australians I've met, and people in HK itself, have been friendly and polite people with me (and me with them), but we do realise that, like people in any other country in the world, if you push the wrong buttons you're going to get a reaction, and sometimes an over-reaction. The anti-japanese riots in Beijing a couple of years ago are one example, protests in Hong Kong, and way back in 1989 in Beijing are other examples. Chinese people are people, just like anyone else and it is understandable they may react just like anyone else when faced with a situation they object to, whether it's officious b@stards handing out parking tickets or whatever.

So the copout is claiming it is racist targetting of Chinese merchants who are breaking the laws regarding vehicles in a commercial or residential precinct of Milan when the evidence, it seems, supports something not quite as sinister.
But while there are claims and counterclaims the jury is still out, and Chunderama and company should not yet jump to any conclusions.

JB

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-4-13 10:02 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-13 20:56:01 |Display all floors

Personally, I think we cannot know for certain who is at fault

until a more thorough investigation has been completed, and even then, it seems to be a rather complicated situation. What I do find ironic about Chang's reaction to all this, though, is that, were the shoe on the other foot, as it were, and hundreds of foreigners in Shanghai were involved in running battles with the Gongan, I'm certain he'd have no qualms chalking the clashes up to the misbehaving barbarian yangren.

[ Last edited by irishinuk at 2007-4-13 09:09 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.