Views: 3038|Replies: 4

CD Meeting Minutes of April 1, 2007 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-4-5 15:07:16 |Display all floors
It was not just another CD day; it was April Fools’ Day. However, any plots either by Amber or by Hudson intended to pull CD members’ legs had aborted. After all, CD event is not a joking matter.

It’s certainly no joking matter in terms of topics for the day as well. Topic A is about children education and parenting; while Topic B on growing cases of thieves beaten death by an outraged crowd.

Topic A coincided with recent media outcry for proper family upbringing, sparked over the case of Yang Lijuan, a crazed Andy Lau fan whose obsession to the Icon has led to the suicide of her 68-year-old father. Though only old Alhaji and Hudson have acquired their parenthood, everyone was enthusiastic to get their views heard. David still remembered he was seriously spanked for his wrongdoing once as a teenager. However, he still believed in “spare the rod, spoil the child”, and it was echoed by his wife Flora! So expected baby of David and Flora: you better watch out, better not cry, better not pout, I'm telling you why, your parents are going to spank you! That said, consensus was made to the effect that parents should respect their child, should stress the role of communication and exercise self-control when disciplining their child. Parents should get themselves educated on parenting, as showcased by Hudson who spends more time and energy on learning how to be a good father. Melanic, a first-timer yet eloquent speaker spoke highly of Hudson’ s endeavour. I supposed this young girl had learnt a lot from him during table discussion. Roger, speaking on behalf of Table 3, talked about the need to integrate traditional strict family education with more open and tolerant family environment. He then focused on Topic B. He argued that the responsibility lies to the police and court to exercise law enforcement. This was the dominating opinion among CD members. Talking of stealing, almost all of us confessed that they had a kinda stealing or “taking wrongly” as a child out of curiosity, with booties ranging from big items like a tin of coffee to trivial ones like neighborhood grapes and copy papers from office. At one time I was so worried that I had to take tightly of my wallet. What? We were in a den of thieves? And this scare went to the climax when towards the end of the gathering, I could not find my car key, only to be found and returned later by a restaurant waitress at the entrance.  

During the previous prepared speech segment of the day, Joyce delivered her speech untitled “the Movie” in a relaxed and well-poised manner. She began by asking questions to create curiosity and interactive atmosphere, then gave out her own answer and unfolded. She spent some time elaborating her favorite movies: Forest Gump, God Must Be Crazy, Sound of Music and Gone with the Wind, which are also my favorites. Indeed as she said, we have learnt a lot from movies and should give those moviemakers and stars credits for their excellent job. Shall we organize to go to the movies together, the way similar to that of outing?

Finally I cannot wrap up my meeting minutes without saying that Hudson deserves high praise for his creative and thought-provoking impromptu speech topics. They were based on two cartoons—one, human pyramid; the other, a bicycle rider with a briefcase on his head riding along the edge of a big bowl. The former was rather a psychological test, revealing one’s underlying niche for life. Amber took the chance and just like most of us, she preferred upper-middle position. James picked the second cartoon. It was amazing that he could organize his thoughts on the issue so balanced and in-depth in such a short period of time. Once again, we do boast a large pool of men of talents and wisdom, which set us apart from average English corner.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 16:55:57 |Display all floors
good job!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 17:18:28 |Display all floors

Thank you Bro

Alhaji, I went through your report twice  in a slow way this afternoon,it's like tasting my best indian friend's milk coffee, smooth and nice.You record almost every detail about last Sunday's gathering , you make it so brief and clear, AND with sense of humor.  I  enjoy reading  it very much.

you must be on your business trip of Yemen,enjoy your trip and thanks for giving me lift home last Sunday.You are such a nice gentleman,like you always are.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 18:47:12 |Display all floors

to Alhaji

Whenever you write, you give me big surprises and great enjoyment. I'll read it again and again.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-5 19:13:15 |Display all floors

it's really great to garner your feedback

flattered really.
and it's a great fun to see u guys.
due to visa arrangement, i am held up for another week. That leaves me free to join u this coming Sunday.
till then, best luck!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.