Author: masterkung

Emergence of India as a Global Power [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-28 01:22:40 |Display all floors
Mengzhi, we can't predict the future: both India and China have many strengths and weaknesses. Both are starting from a low base and have potential for growth. Both have major pollution and water shortage problems. Both have high populations and unrest (Naxalites, Kashmir extremists in India's case, very serious mass riots and rural uprisings in China's). Both have booming consumer markets and a growing cultural presence on the world stage. India is considerably more transparent and open, China has a bit more of that classic Chinese inscrutability about it when it comes to accurate reporting of  official financial data, etc. On the other hand, China has made much more progress in lowering illiteracy than India.

We'll just have to wait and see. There are a lot of causes for both hope and worry in both nations. India might be pulled down by its' relative social backwardness; China by the collapse of its' authotarian state. On the other hand, India may overcome its' social handicaps and China might evolve peacefully into a more representative and/or freer state. Or both. Who's to know.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 03:46:34 |Display all floors

India Has No Hope

India has no hope until and unless it faces and resolves the issue of the built in hamstring of the "it-takes-23-parties-to-form-a-ruling-plurality-so-they-never-get-anything-done" disease.  The false pride of being the "biggest democracy on earth" also comes with the heavy price of constant bickering and never achieving much.

Centralized power is not a handicap, when used to harness the creative and entreprenurial power of the Chinese people. Instead it was the distinct and superior feature of China's political system that wrought double digit growth at sub-2% inflation in the last 3 decades.  

Show us ANY system that performed better in the last few decades, if you disagree.

[ Last edited by tongluren at 2007-3-28 04:16 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 04:13:27 |Display all floors
I think the Chinese economy will develop into a rich one fast because of their government, since they get things done.  As I understand it takes 3-6 months to decided to build a road in China but in India it takes 2-4 years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 11:20:47 |Display all floors

Reply #9 tongluren's post

You are quite right!

Inability to "Culturally Self Renew" would cause India much grief!.....or they prefer their "present culture" in presence of new influences.

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-28 13:36:27 |Display all floors

Potentials are a dime a dozen.

Dear masterkung,

I am just asking you a pertinent question . Many a time have I seen you set the bait and disappeared from sight.Unless you are prepared to nurse your own thread and topic, I do feel that forumites should not waste their time on the subject.

India is full of potentials. But so has every nation on earth. India perhaps have had potentials longer than most simply because they have been around for a long long time. None of these potentials have done anything but remained potentials. Unlike that China has realised a great deal of her potentials ,especially over the past 35 years. That is not to say India cannot change. I personally see not much future for India unless her unchecked population explosion is curbed, curtailed or controlled.

So " a global power " is not within India's reach in the forseeable future.  
:)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-29 18:41:27 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-3-26 17:32
You must be the chief cheer leader of this " India the next superpower " brigade.

Well he's being a lot more polite and respectful that your mate Chunderama with his cheerleading efforts.

Why don't you take Changabula to task?
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-29 18:46:26 |Display all floors
"I personally see not much future for India unless her unchecked population explosion is curbed, curtailed or controlled. "

I'm not so sure that low population growth is always a good thing. Low population growth leads to pensions crises, problems securing enough military recruits, things like that. Just look at Germany, Japan and South Korea - they are all now forced to import foreign labour, bringing a whole host of integration issues which would be completely avoidable if people just had more kids! I realize that India is the other extreme, where high population growth leads to unemployment and strains services. A happy medium needs to be found.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.