Author: canon787

What do u think about these pitcures? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-21 19:31:45 |Display all floors
I ask the mods to move this thread out of "Beijing" thread.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 20:11:55 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tradervic at 2007-6-1 03:07
Ladies and Gentlemen,
The photos are brutal - .

My guess is Norway, they still do a bit of whaling.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 20:30:20 |Display all floors
My guess wasn't Norway, but Tasmania.

Hobart, Tasmania is a big whaling city, or was.  It's located on the southernmost portion of Australia with high mountains. However the town is too small for Hobart and the "whales" are too small also.  

I have steamed live crabs from the Chesapeake Bay, so I am not in theory any less guilty than those shown in the pictures, provided you believe that the life of a crab is equal to that of a whale, which I do.  I haven't steamed crabs for a while because it's a lot of work for a small amount of crab meat.  Generally though, I think animals should be slaughtered in a way that minimizes the pain they feel.  I also passed on some veal at the supermarket recently because I have heard much about the mistreatment of calves raised for veal.  It's not so much better than other cuts of meat.

龙年顺顺利利

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 22:21:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by matt605 at 2007-7-21 22:30
My guess wasn't Norway, but Tasmania.

Hobart, Tasmania is a big whaling city, or was.  It's located on the southernmost portion of Australia with high mountains. However the town is too small for Hobart and the "whales" are too small also.  ...

You've got to be joking, Matt. A very bad guess.

Whaling has been banned in Australia for decades.
The buildings in the photo look like Europe, not Tasmania, the people on the beach look Nordic.

Just did the most rudimentary google, and I was a little off the mark in suggesting Norway, but not as far off as you (as you were about 18,000 km off the mark)

Not Norway, it appears that the beach slaughter is a regular event in the Faroe Islands, which I think are politically connected to Denmark. While Denmark's Crown Princess Mary was born in Tasmania, it's still a very tenuous link to Tassie.

I think the whales are "Pilot whales" and I believe that's their normal size in the photos.

BTW, Australia is one of the nations taking a leading role in protecting whales, not slaughtering them.

JB

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-7-22 12:22 AM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-21 23:34:23 |Display all floors
It's from the Faroe Islands between Norway and Iceland taken in 2005.

http://www.neatorama.com/2005/12/27/faroe-islands-grindadrp/

This is an ancient practice despite the apparent brutality. They herd the pilot whales close to shore and then harvest them as they have for centuries. It's a communal activity and all of it is shared amoung the people that live there. Folks sometimes forget that even Europeans were tribal at one time, that there are remnants of cultures that go back thousands of years that still exist today. They have modernized the practice, but the scale and importance to the people remains the same.
Husband, father, farmer, logger, woodcutter, and rancher

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-22 14:00:23 |Display all floors
cruel!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-23 10:02:34 |Display all floors
the scenes looks terrible .water is changed red by blood .when i saw the first photo ,i had considered that the water is poltuted by waste.its not . I feel so shock after i saw those pictures.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.