Author: irishinuk

South Africa crime out of control [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-17 14:51:38 |Display all floors
"I wonder how many YOU people killed under Aprtheid each year?"

I am not South African, never lived in South Africa, and have never killed anyone.

Next question?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 18:38:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-3-17 14:51
"I wonder how many YOU people killed under Aprtheid each year?"

I am not South African, never lived in South Africa, and have never killed anyone.

Next question?

Well why the hell are you commenting on something you don't have any knowledge of!

It is obvious that this happens when the whites were removed from power.
A vacuum was created.
It will take time before the black South Africans can solve their own problems.
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 19:09:15 |Display all floors
Unfortunately, I have my doubts. The ANC isn't very tolerant towards opposition - just look at what they did in Cape Town when the DA got the mayorship - they gerrymandered the city's boundaries so that the ANC could still control it. Also, remember all the thousands of PAC members (supposedly their own comrades in the fight against the Nats) who were necklaced by Winnie and her gang? I'd like to think that the ANC would be willing to allow the DA or the IFP or another Party to take power, but a lot of people were thinking that Mugabe and ZANU-PF would let ZAPU gain in strength too, but as we've seen over the past two decades, that hope was in vain.

If you have any doubt that SA is in trouble, just take a look at the graph, showing SA's HDI (Human Development Index) decline. You can see that it rises sharply in 1978, when petit apartheid ended, then levels out in 1990, before falling in 1995, the year following the ANC's rise to power. This means that the wealth gap is actually widening, and if something isn't done, unrest will grow, possibly leading - god forbid - to a Jacob Zuma presidency and wealth redistribution which would scare away foreign capital and destroy the economy, like in Zimbabwe. I don't doubt that this growing inequality also contributes significantly to crime.

http://www.afrol.com/articles/16932

[ Last edited by irishinuk at 2007-3-17 07:27 PM ]
suidafrikahdi.gif

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 19:18:31 |Display all floors
"Well why the hell are you commenting on something you don't have any knowledge of!"

How do you come to that conclusion?

If you have any real comment to make concerning the ANC's record of governing South Africa, feel free to do so. Personally, I happen to believe that the IFP and DA have a much better record when it comes to local government (how much better the DA ran Cape Town for starters), so I don't see why that success couldn't be replicated on a nationwide level.

[ Last edited by irishinuk at 2007-3-17 07:31 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 21:20:33 |Display all floors
Provided, of course, that the ANC cedes power gracefully when the time comes.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 23:25:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by irishinuk at 2007-3-17 21:20
Provided, of course, that the ANC cedes power gracefully when the time comes.

Yawn!
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-17 23:38:48 |Display all floors
No real comment on the DA and the IFP's chances, then?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.