- Registration time
- Last login
- Online time
- 115 Hour
- Reading permission
Reply #37 mengzhi's post
Without hysteria here, we need a common ground to discuss this. so before further discussion, may I offer a web site to give us both a timeline of historical fact. (If you think the timeline is propoganda- please offer me one so were on the same page)|
http://www.worldwar-2.net/index.htm (this is the historical timeline Im working from)
http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USA/USA-C-ChinaD/index.html (This is the official record of china involvement by US)
After we agree on a timeline, I would pose the following for you to comment on:
1. Although China was engaged in a war with japan on July 1937 , and within 5 months all major cities were under japanese control. China resistance was fractured (meaning not fully organized) and japan was well organized. China did tie up around 500,000 to 1,000,000 Japanese troops. But by 1943 Japan removed over half of those troops to reassign against the allied forces because China was not a major concern for control to Japan.
2. Russia did not declare war on Japan until one day after the first atomic bomb was dropped on Japan. "It initiated the invasion of Mongolia". The day after russia's declaration, the second atomic bomb was dropped on japan, and the following day Japan surrendered. Russia had however under (US Lend Lease) provide assets to China to help maintain the front against Japan since 1941.
3. America's reason for dropping the bombs on Japan was simple. The estimated american casualties were estimated at over 1,000,000 if invaded conventionally on mainland japan. Without any apology the bombs were dropped to end the war. The targets were indeed directed against the people of japan to "Break the will to fight". (It obviously worked) Also without the bomb, it was estimated the war would continue another 2 years.
4. America's entry into WW2 in 1941 was engineered by our own president, and initiated by Japan. At that point in history america wanted to remain isolated from other world conflicts. After Pearl Harbour, the point was made mute. Historically the USA was becoming a isolationist country till the attack.
5. Japan, China, Russia, Germany were never signatory to the Geneva Convention, which by the way only applies to prisoners of war and restriction of chemical weapons. In your rantings about the bomb, you seem to forget the atrocities japan inflicted on China and throughout Asia during their occupations.
My point throughout this entire conversation with you has been that although you keep telling me I have low intelligence (I guess my Phd. in Economics, MBA in Business, and BBA in History make me ignorant) You continue to inter-mix history with current events to prove america is a war monging country. Do not rage to make your point (which I respect) but do not assume your point is the only correct one either. Lets have a conversation of disagreement, not a name calling competition OK!
[ Last edited by convair1948 at 2007-3-4 11:53 PM ]