What the British did to India - China & World - Chinadaily Forum
Views: 289086|Replies: 655

What the British did to India   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-2-18 05:28:05 |Display all floors
PM Sh. Man Mohan Singh during his speech at Oxford in Jul ?5:

There is no doubt that our grievance against the British Empire had a sound basis. As the painstaking statistical work of the Cambridge historian Angus Maddison has shown, India's share of world income collapsed from 22.6 per cent in 1700, almost equal to Europe's share of 23.3 per cent at that time, to as low as 3.8 per cent in 1952.

Indeed, at the beginning of the 20th Century, "the brightest jewel in the British Crown" was the poorest country in the world in terms of per capita income. However, what is significant about the Indo-British relationship is the fact that despite the economic impact of colonial rule, the relationship between individual Indians and Britons, even at the time of our Independence, was relaxed and, I may even say, benign.

1. http://in.rediff.com/news/2005/jul/12spec.htm
Copy code

How did this happen?
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 06:16:18 |Display all floors
Economic Exploitation and the Drain of Wealth during British 揜aj擺/b]
3rd February ?6

Whenever the issue of economic exploitation and the 揹rain of wealth?during the 200 years of British colonial rule comes up, the one rebuttal from western historians is that there is scant evidence to prove it. To bolster the argument, the point is then made that Indian historians are nationalist, biased (sometimes as a consequence) and do not pay attention to figures and statistical evidence.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 06:17:09 |Display all floors
On June 23,1757, Robert Clive, commanding a small force of East India Company professional troops, defeated and killed Siraju-ud-daula, the ruling Nawab of Bengal, on the battlefield of Plassey. The battle marked a significant turning point in world history, for it permitted the English East India Company to gain control over the rich resources of the Mughal successor state in northeastern Bengal and Bihar.

匱his was the starting point for a century-long process of British conquest and dominion over the entire Indian subcontinent and beyond.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 07:26:29 |Display all floors
I feel sorry for my Indian comrades.  Forced to suffer British people for much longer than we Chinese people had to.
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 11:02:49 |Display all floors
It wasn't *all* British people, it was a small elite, who kept the majority in the UK living in pretty wretched conditions during most of the same era.  Don't tar us all with the same brush.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 12:09:42 |Display all floors
"Indeed, at the beginning of the 20th Century, "the brightest jewel in the British Crown" was the poorest country in the world in terms of per capita income. However, what is significant about the Indo-British relationship is the fact that despite the economic impact of colonial rule, the relationship between individual Indians and Britons, even at the time of our Independence, was relaxed and, I may even say, benign"

"How did this happen?"

The answer to this question lies in India's culture...a deeply spiritual one. Hinduism, the main 'religion' of India, an old and encompassing system of thought, in essence is not even a religion. It's a philosophy, a way of life. There are striking similarities between Daojiao and Hinduism (in their outlook).

Hinduism, a philosophy that teaches love and acceptance, peace and 'shanti' (the inner peace) among many other things, also gives its believers a lot of latitude to explore, understand and integrate...integrate, not into a religion but into the environment...the cosmos and the endless creation.

[ Last edited by jackkanoi at 2007-2-18 12:11 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-2-18 17:08:20 |Display all floors
Originally posted by jackkanoi at 2007-2-18 14:09
"How did this happen?"

As well, the Indians took the good things they learned from the British, kept diplomatic links with Britain and remained a key member of the Commonwealth of Nations.
India's acceptance of cultural and sporting "imports" from Britain, a friendly and deepening relationship after Indian independance, and Britain's welcoming of migrants from the subcontinent, and Britain's enthusiasm for Indian cultural, linguistic & culinary "exports" led to greater mutual respect.

Despite their troubles during the British Raj, the enduring friendly relationship between India and Britain is a sign of the maturity of both peoples.

A lesson to be learned by certain other countries perhaps!

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-2-18 07:11 PM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.