Author: woodenbird

Foreign Teachers in China---Pro and Con [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-26 11:05:32 |Display all floors
Originally posted by christin111 at 2007-1-24 14:47

i think one coin has two sides.indeed, some of foreign teachers are not real teachers ,but they still enjoy the higher treatment.maybe this reason fot that is in the last two dacade,some foeign c ...

Wow, if oral practice of Chinese is all you need, just e-call someone in America with Skype.  You can practice oral English all you want.  You can even call me.  i'll be happy to help my fellow Chinese with English.  After all, my English is better than most English teacher's English (based on statistics and tests like the SAT I)
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 11:25:23 |Display all floors
I very much doubt that.

The only Chinese person I have met whose English is comparable to a native is a friend's wife who lived and studied in the UK for 5 years.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 11:52:54 |Display all floors

NOT AT ALL

Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2007-1-24 09:25
This is true with ESL teachers in every country, though.  ESL teachers are never qualified; they usually have a BA (in anything) plus the CELTA certificate in Teaching English to Adults.  This is c ...

China pays its foreign teachers peanuts --NOT AT ALL

Most of them were higher paid than local and with fully respect...as far as I know...
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 12:09:07 |Display all floors
The average pay for FTs is 5000 RMB per month, which is higher than a low-earning local or a village peasant, but you know full damned well that 5000 RMB is NOT a high salary!  It is disingenuous to say that it is.  As I said, when you look at western goods etc in China the prices are comparable to the west, so the salary is suddenly not that high after all.

Also, when we return to our own countries, we need a considerable amount of money in order to start up again.  ONE MONTH'S rent of a small flat in my home city of London costs 10,000 RMB and over!  Westerners coming here need a certain amount of 'compensation' to make up for other factors like missing certain foods from home or whatever.  Also most cities in China, except for places like Dalian where I am now, which is a decent city, really don't have a great quality of life.  If you started paying people even LESS than 5000, especially in the really industrial cities, nobody would bother coming here to teach English

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 12:48:59 |Display all floors

you know

Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2007-1-26 12:09
The average pay for FTs is 5000 RMB per month, which is higher than a low-earning local or a village peasant, but you know full damned well that 5000 RMB is NOT a high salary!  It is disingenuous t ...

one of my foreigner teachers he got 3000 a month (only 2 hours a day).

I know Europen are higher living standard,,,if you can't accept the pay level,you can refuse to teach here  in China...why don't you find a higer pay school in your country?

I am respect you as being a Chinease English teacher,

you would loss something but you would learn sth that you can't have in your country...

lots of chinese went to teach in a rual and poorer area,they won't blame the low paid instead of contribution their knowledge and talent to their mother country,,,

so think about what do you want? if you are happy ,stay,if not,go back...no one would blame on you...
i am very sincere here...
***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 14:44:01 |Display all floors

More pay because

The foreigners in China do get paid more than a Chinese person would for doing the same job, but that doesn't mean they are getting rich

for example it can cost 20,000 RMB to move here (cost me more than that)

then the foreigner has to save like crazy unless he expects to stay in China forever, because

house prices in his home country are probably rising (in terms of cash increase) 4 times faster than in China
he probably needs to pay thousands of RMB each year into a foreign pension scheme
he may also be paying some tax to his home country's government

plus,

it costs him a lot to go "home" to his own country periodically

and he or she will find it hard to get a bargain in any business transaction

plus most of the stuff I like to buy seems to be the most expensive stuff in the shops, but would be the cheapest goods in the UK

So even 5,000 is not much

Also, I have heard Chinese university final year students exclaim "5,000 a month, I will not work for that!"

I am not commenting here on why or if foreigners should come to work in China, I am just saying that they are not getting as rich as it might seem.

Great expectations!
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-26 15:17:43 |Display all floors
I have heard Chinese university final year students exclaim "5,000 a month, I will not work for that!"

That's because they'll work for 2500 - 3000 rmb a month all thanks to supply and demand.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.