Author: woodenbird

Foreign Teachers in China---Pro and Con [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-24 09:51:00 |Display all floors
Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2007-1-24 09:44
The first two series of 4400 were good, but series 3 was awful, IMVHO.

You're kidding me! There are series 3??? I lagged far behind.....
Save the girl, Save the future.---Heroes

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 09:54:38 |Display all floors
Originally posted by woodenbird at 2007-1-24 09:49

Don't you think the price level of China is far more lower than that of Britan. The payment should fit the price index. Besides, not all teachers only focus their attention on money. Accordin ...

I realise that, but fully  qualified teachers will go to schools where they can earn much more, i.e. international schools as I said.

Also, as I said, ESL teachers are never qualified teachers.  This will be true for people teaching ESL in Europe, Japan, South Korea, etc.  

Also re. prices in China.  This is true if you want to only eat Chinese food.  I personally am happy with this, and I eat pretty well.  But for people who want to regularly eat at pizza hut, drink coffee at starbucks, etc, prices are the same as, or more expensive than, London, so it's oversimplistic to say prices are lower than Britain.  Also computers, mobile phones, digital cameras, clothes (if you want large sizes) - all often more expensive than the UK.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 10:04:09 |Display all floors
Price index? WHat are you teaching? The majority of FTs that come here are teaching DICK and JANE level stuff to classrooms of 50-60 kids of varying aptitide and intelligence. You hardly have to be a PHD to do this.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 10:08:17 |Display all floors
I think he was talking more about teachers at the Universities.

Another thing I would add is that the ESL teacher types are more likely to want to 'experience the local lifestyle', so the salary seems quite good on that basis.  A qualified teacher who is primarily set on teaching and doesn't care about 'experiencing China' all that much is going to want his/her 'luxuries' (things that are considered luxuries in China but which are every day goods in the west) on a daily basis as a matter of course.

I have only met one fully qualified teacher at either of the two Primary Schools I have taught ESL at in my four years here so far.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 10:12:12 |Display all floors
Originally posted by renegadedog9 at 2007-1-24 09:54

I realise that, but fully  qualified teachers will go to schools where they can earn much more, i.e. international schools as I said.

Also, as I said, ESL teachers are never qualified teache ...

You are quite right about the western food in China. (I ate pizza last night, and that cost me 60 rmb, which equals 3 days' of Chinese food.)By the way, the place I ate called 'Cro Nest'. One American friend strongly recommanded me go there. It's a underground resterant mainly aims at foreigners.

Back to the point, one thing you were not considering is that at a high level, say, English Major or even Linguistic major, the students can almost match the natives. At this stage, they can't be satisfied by 'uneducated native speakers' who can only speak English fluently, what they seek is authentic knowledge, the broad and different perspective. They need to be motivated and provoked to think, which I think , not every 'native speak' is capable of.

[ Last edited by woodenbird at 2007-1-24 10:15 AM ]
Save the girl, Save the future.---Heroes

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 10:17:44 |Display all floors
Really?  Actually I have met very few Chinese English speakers whose level of English is comparable to a native speaker.  My brother in law is an English major from a Chinese university and, while his English isn't bad, it could be a whole lot better.

Oh, and by the way, I would hardly call someone with a Degree from a decent University in the UK, Canada or US 'uneducated', they merely aren't a fully qualified teacher.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 10:28:45 |Display all floors
In terms of knowledge in grammar, diction and ecetera there are many Chinese teachers that surpass even the native ones. Mind you, to many schools its not how much English the L1 or english as their native language know per se. Rather de facto,  many of the schools are also looking for,  as what renegadedog mentioned earlier the different styles of teaching along with their perception of the western world. On top of that, the native english teachers do possess one thing that the Chinese teachers cannot have -- the native speakers fluency of the language. On a side note, often times there are real-estates which also erect schools and adds a few 'unqualified' or 'backpackers' into the mix just to target the buyers that have the whole' OMG there are laowais working at this school...its gotta have merit mentality'.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.