Author: chairman

SHUT STARBUCKS in the FORBIDDEN PALACE... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-23 09:36:19 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2007-1-21 18:59
NO ONE SAID EJECT STARBUCKS FROM CHINA....

( although there are some that would say that )

SHUT STARBUCKS in the FORBIDDEN PALACE

If one day there is a Chinese restaurant opened in overseas famous tourist place, such as Louvre in Paris, (which is comparable somehow to the Forbidden City), Chinese media and people will feel this is a good thing, "our GDP is strong enough..." "the orental dragon is proving to the world ....".
However the local people there will feel it is just a restaurant, if they like it they can go if not, they just pass. As simple as that, it is like anyother restaurants, cafes opened in the Lovre.

However when the things go the other way we do not feel the same, this is deplorable nationalism, this is how someone are educated as being "patriotic".

However, all my deal compatriots, do not always link an economic phenomene with culture, or love to the nation, they are just two different things !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-23 09:37:39 |Display all floors
Originally posted by chairman at 2007-1-21 20:27

Poor patritism, wrong place !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-23 10:39:12 |Display all floors

dsfa

sdaf
Soy Numero Uno Del Mundo en Nunchaku

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-23 11:39:25 |Display all floors

Starbucks is terrible eye sore

The round and green Starbucks logo is an eye sore, not compatible with the architecture of the surrounding Forbidden City museum.

Once upon a time McDonalds built its golden arch sign above the roofs of the Beijing old buildings. It was really poor taste.  I was glad to see it gone.

The Kentucky Fried Chicken joint in the Behai Lake/Garden area, although I didn't see it myself before it was closed down, was probably the same kind of poor architectural taste.

The cheap commercial signs of cheap fast food joints are not compatible with most if not all ancient architectures, no matter it be Chinese, other Asian, or European.  The only place that these cheap joints can find compatibility is in Amerika, where the cowboy culture cannot appreciate anything sophisticated. Ask George, G.W. Bush, he'll tell you that Starbucks can fit anywhere in Texas and it is compatible with the colors, shapes, and even smell of Texas.  

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-23 13:48:21 |Display all floors

Now

a Chinese restaurant at Stonehenge would be good

nothing to eat there, just a pile of stones and a lot of wind

:)

Also, I think tourists visiting the Forbidden City should be banned from wearing bright coloured plastic jackets

they spoil my photos!

"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-24 14:27:29 |Display all floors
Don't overreact on that. Sometimes, patriotism can easily grow to nationalism.

It's not a serious problem. A large fraction of the visitors of the Forbidden City are from western countries. Starbucks there just  provides a comfortable drink for them if case they feel thirsty. Meanwhile, it shows our hospitality.
Save the girl, Save the future.---Heroes

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-25 10:39:40 |Display all floors
Originally posted by xieyang at 2007-1-21 18:45
Chairman, you seen to be still living in a prehistorical age where humans live in tribes isolated from each other!

But civilizations have thrived on opening up to each other and continuously inc ...

Like Opium (Hint...Hint)
"When I am White, I win because I'm White.  When I'm Black, I win because I am Bogoljubow."

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.