Author: robtam

Mainlanders have babies in Hong Kong [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-1-2 19:32:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-1-2 20:37
You talk as if HK is still a outpost of the British empire ! Look here, it is NOT. It is now part of China. Hukou is " bank account " which is an administration check , like a tax file number. ...

British colonial history is irrelevant to the current situation with mainland Hukou registration.
Australia's TFN does not limit one's movement from city to country. You get a TFN when you start working/earning money, not when you're born.

Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-1-2 20:37
The Aborigines were never given special privileges. They were hunted down and exterminated systematically.

The Aboriginal Australians have had special privileges for years to try to improve the social conditions of the most disadvantaged. There is also special education, job training and health programmes.
Where there were killings of Aboriginals, ( a century or more ago), it was clearly an illegal action of individuals or groups of aggrieved settlers. As you know, from my previous posts, those who were convicted of killing aboriginals, were punished by law, including capital punishment.
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-2 19:54:11 |Display all floors

To: Mengzhi

Where do you get the idea a Hukou is like a bank account?
The Hukou is considered a human rights violation, people are marked according to the place their parents were from and their ethnicity, that means Han, Miao, Zhuang, etc. In most countries you cannot even ask a person such information for jobs or other reasons, in China it is on your ID card.
The weirdest part of the whole thing is that people who were born, went to school, worked all their life for example in Shenzhen, have a Hukou in a strange far off place. The address printed on their ID card is a place they have never been to and know nothing about.
One of our staff, a very educated man, went to school in Beijing and now works in Shenzhen. He needed a passport to travel on business and needed to return to the place of his Hukou, Qinghai. It was his first trip to Qinghai in his life.
This seems like a useless way of keeping track of people. If you live in Shanghai your ID card should say Shanghai, if you live in Shenzhen you should have a Shenzhen address on your ID card. In most countries if you do not carry current proof of address, update your ID card address it is punishable by a fine or even jail time.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-3 04:08:55 |Display all floors

Please explain.

Dear tainanliu,

Thank you for your version of hukou. I have also enquired about this problem while in China a year ago. In big cities especially there is a huge problem with internal migration : workers and peasants from the countryside flocking to the big smoke seeking construction or other assembly line work. The government is intent in regulating this avalanche of population movement. Other places in the world have shown how uncontrolled and unregulated movement of people in such numbers ( tens of millions ) can cause social disruption and violence. So in Shanghai I was aware that those who are genuine born and bred Shanghainese have the right to find abode within the city and " outsiders " are registered and controlled. I see this as a positive thing, benefiting those in the city as well those from outside the city. Outsiders are often taken advantage of if they are unemployed and with no homes to go to.
Your scenario of someone being sent to Qinghai when he has never been there before seems to be an aberration. I do not believe that this is an official policy. Are you taking an exception to prove the rule ?

Anyway why is the scheme characterised as a human rights violation ? People like emu comes from a country the size of China with 20 million people. There are more sheep than humans. It is so naive for someone in that situation to lecture and preach. He has no idea of a million people suddenly descending on a city and demand jobs, food and shelter. No one wins if there is chaos masquerading as human rights.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-3 07:33:35 |Display all floors
Originally posted by tainanliu at 2007-1-2 21:54
Where do you get the idea a Hukou is like a bank account?
One of our staff, a very educated man, went to school in Beijing and now works in Shenzhen. He needed a passport to travel on business and needed to return to the place of his Hukou, Qinghai. It was his first trip to Qinghai in his life.
This seems like a useless way of keeping track of people. ....

Hi tainanliu,
Thanks for your interesting example of the idiosyncracies of the Hukou system.

Are you a Chinese resident or national? Can you explain more about the system?
I read, here on CD, that the Hukou system is being scaled back in some areas, do you know about this?

Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-1-3 06:08
Please explain.

How very 'Pauline Hanson' of you to ask that!

Originally posted by mengzhi at 2007-1-3 06:08
Thank you for your version of hukou. I have also enquired about this problem while in China a year ago.

People like emu comes from a country the size of China with 20 million people. ... It is so naive for someone in that situation to lecture and preach.

So to recap, Mengzhi is criticising me for commenting on Hukou, simply because I am not in China.
Yet Mengzhi is allowed to say how great Hukou is, but he wouldn't f*cking know, because he's not in China either!!!
Unbelievable!

[ Last edited by emucentral at 2007-1-3 09:35 AM ]
"他不是救星, 他是一个非常淘气男孩" - Monty Python

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-3 13:14:57 |Display all floors

Reply #29 emucentral's post

a little help to your HUMAN RIGHTS violation mood now...

the small problem is called "OVERPOPULATION" and lack of commodity or space.
thank the heavens for the Trade Route Federation -British Club does not have this porblem now or for a long time in the distant.....

but in Hong Kong, Shanghai....it's terribly crowded!

Green Dragon
Yoda
Lord of the code

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-3 13:18:56 |Display all floors

...and the Taiwanese cannot help but to add salt to the wound!

....ha ha ha ha

Gosh, Mr. Mengzhi, you have a tough job to do....
I can almost detect a "tear" in your eyes, Mr. Menzhi....
What to do, we are over crowded....

Mr. Tainan and Mr. Aussie Emu, please lar....
if you have ever stayed in a location with 10,000 people cramped in 1 sq. km...
You wouldn't talk in same manner...

Mr. Tainan is just only wanting to win "ribbons" from his masters in Taipei!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Yoda
Lord of the code

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-1-3 14:52:03 |Display all floors

I can take it.

Greendragon,

Bagus, bodor binya orang dari Australia. Tainan is from South Taiwan. He makes big money on the Mainland but he wants to be a banana, such a sad sack.

" Needing a passport to travel form Shenzhen to Qinghai " !? That needs explanation.  Selamat jalan.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.