Author: chiaike

Beijing will not be Beijing if... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-7-15 15:52:12 |Display all floors
Well, its a pity indeed that things could not last forever, and everything new would become old oneday,
but  just in this way, the OLD will long-live in people's mind and becomes priceless;
Take it easy and cherish what we own this minutes, this is the best way to make we feel better.
God bless China !

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-15 17:14:59 |Display all floors
Beijing is the economical and political and cultural centre of the whole China, But all of those aspects have more and more become modern, under the control of a pure economical purpose. I think the governer should do sth practical to keep old-beijing in our mind, and this is a valuable sediment of city culture. The spirits of the city is not supposed to be updated, but it can make people happy and a sense of home.
lol

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-17 10:49:08 |Display all floors

Reply #14 jasonabe92's post

tradition is kept vivid with people involved, i love the old beijinger walking/sitting in the "hutongs", without them, it will look pale

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-17 22:51:52 |Display all floors
There's a tradeoff between historical heritage and modernization.
The first time Beijing underwent a massive destruction of its historical heritage was during the first years of its becoming the capital of PRC.
Since Chairman Mao decided to reject Liang Sicheng's suggestion building a new capital outside the old city, Beijing was doomed.
Take the city rampart for example, Beijing's rampart was totally dismantled very soon. But the other two old capital city——Xi'an and Nanjing have still kept their own ramparts.
It's Beijing's huge fortune replacing Nanjing to be the national capital, but as a tradeoff, it's also a misfortune that Beijing has to pay a huge cost for its modernization.
It's a dichotomy between modernization and keeping the historical heritage
師夷長技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-17 22:53:03 |Display all floors
There's a tradeoff between historical heritage and modernization.
The first time Beijing underwent a massive destruction of its historical heritage was during the first years of its becoming the capital of PRC.
Since Chairman Mao decided to reject Liang Sicheng's suggestion building a new capital outside the old city, Beijing was doomed.
Take the city rampart for example, Beijing's rampart was totally dismantled very soon. But the other two old capital city——Xi'an and Nanjing have still kept their own ramparts.
It's Beijing's huge fortune replacing Nanjing to be the national capital, but as a tradeoff, it's also a misfortune that Beijing has to pay a huge cost for its modernization.
It's a dichotomy between modernization and keeping the historical heritage
師夷長技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-18 16:15:06 |Display all floors
To be honesy ,I don't saw the so-called Hutong  with my own eyes, I only saw walled yard on TV,I feel kind to see the essence of old Chinese Culture . I strongly suggest the the municipal government especially the historic city should protect the tradition Chinese civilization.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-7-19 17:35:24 |Display all floors

It's indifferent

Beijing, I have never gone there. As a Chinese, I often feel soooorry. But, in this atmosphere, I don't think I will regret that I had never gone Beijing in my whole life. Officialdom is goolmy, Beijing is goolmy. I want to see the liquad Beijing..................
I don't know whether my dream can come true or not.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.