Author: whampoa

Institutional Racism .... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-12-16 10:37:58 |Display all floors
Right, canchin... and why is it that the Chinese look down on the Southeast Asians? Why is it that Cantonese has racial slurs built into the everyday language? Could it be institutionalized racism?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-16 10:56:43 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-12-16 10:37
and why is it that the Chinese look down on the Southeast Asians? Why is it that Cantonese has racial slurs built into the everyday language?

Well, since Asians are all Asians...but that's being facetious.

Your comment though, is racist. By saying "Chinese look down on Southeast Asians" you are accusing an entire nation of people of looking down on...what? What are Southeast Asians? Are you referring perhaps to people from India? Or Sri Lanka? Or perhaps people from some other country?

So in just part of one sentence you manage to insult an entire nation and then negate the existence of people from other nations by grouping them all together as "one."

Your use of the English word "Cantonese" - which is an insult - to describe the common language of some people from Guangdong Province and those in and around the city of Guangzhou - is again not only racist as you see fit to use an insult of the English, it is also dismissive of the many other dialects spoken within Guangdong Province.

As for "racial slurs" - like what for example? Gweilo isn't a "racial" slur, it is a slur against all foreigners and is used uniformly for many "races." The more descriptive of what some may mistakenly refer to as "racial slurs" are found in both Guangdonghua and Putonghua: "riben guizi" "meiguolao" "xianggang guizi"...but these are again more "nation descriptive" than racial. Calling an African "heiren" isn't a racial slur, it is describing them as "black" and is not racially motivated but color descriptive.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-16 11:12:13 |Display all floors
Right, right, I'm racist because I point out the possibility that there is racism in China. Don't you accuse all whites of being racist? Doesn't that make you racist? Oh, right, canchin is perfect... sorry.

How is saying "Cantonese" insulting? Fine--Guangdonghua.

Southeast Asians--Vietnamese, Thais, Laotians, Cambodians... traditional Chinese culture valued pale skin over darker skin, and some of that continues to this day (all this soap to make skin "mei bai"--pretty and white). And it's reflected by judgment of these darker-skinned Asians as being slightly less than the Chinese. Never mind the blacks (and what have Africans ever done to China?)--many Chinese parents don't want their daughters to date black men.

As for examples of racism built into Guangdonghua, I can't recall them specifically, since I don't speak it, but we were given several examples in a class on Chinese language, culture, and society.

Canchin, someday you will be forced to come to term with the fact that there is racism all around the world. No one country is worse or better than the other. And someday you will realize that calling someone else "racist" doesn't help you make your point.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-16 13:44:44 |Display all floors
No, it isn't racism when I'm called "Gui Lao" when walking down the street.  I should just accept it because, afterall, it is just "animosity" towards me (although they know nothing about me personally).

Use magic tools Report

chairman has been deleted
Post time 2006-12-16 18:58:50 |Display all floors

Cantonese language..." Guangdonghua "....

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-16 19:01:55 |Display all floors

Sockmonkey # 24

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-16 19:03:24 |Display all floors

Sockmonkey # 24

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.