Author: skygor

Black People in America [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-30 08:50:10 |Display all floors

Putting the facts right and asking question..........

Maybe some of you who claim to read so many Official Statistics, like thoese of the USA CENSUS, would rather read a book called "FREAKONOMICS" written by Steven D. Levitt & Stephen J. Dubner, to learn how to read satistics.

Take this example I have lifted form USA Census Bureau.....Can you find the flaw?

For families, the number and percentage of poor in 1997 was
      2.0 million and 23.6 percent for African Americans; 5.0 million and
      8.4 percent for Whites; 244,000 and 10.2 percent for Asians
      and Pacific Islanders; and 1.7 million and 24.7 percent for
      Hispanics. The poverty rate for Hispanics did not differ
      statistically from the rate for African Americans.

So, who are the poor in America? Blacks or Whites? Because according to this there is more than double poor white americans than there are blacks or hispanics or asians!

But there are more amazing news to be told......according to the same study of 1997 the total poor in AMerica that year were almost 32 million people! But the figures don't match. Teacher taught me 1 +2 = 3 not 33!

So.......... 2 + 5 + 1.7 + 0.244 = 8.944 million....ahhhhhh! How's that? And then, what race are all the other 23.06 million? Are they from Mars, those that came to bother Will Smith and his Men in Black?

Statisitics are there to be read and studied, not just copied and pasted.......becuase statistics lie....well they don't; it's actually the people who use those statistics to lie.

I will put a last example lifeted from "Freakonomics"...............

What would you guys say? In the USA, what causes more deaths, guns or swimming pools?

I'll let you guess for this one.........But as we say in Spain, think wrong and you'll be right (or almost!)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-30 09:24:27 |Display all floors

Freakonomics!

Ill have to check that one out sometime, thanks.
You want an American perspective? Email me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-30 12:32:10 |Display all floors

Reply #23 iivxtii's post

One information that alway EVERGREEN TRUTH...

You can never get rid of the "poor"....
What we can do is to make "life" good, happy, comfortable...

It's a relative term!

Green Dragon

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 06:09:10 |Display all floors

Reply #1 skygor's post

aiyo, skygor--this is a very touchy subject to discuss, and your question is valid.  lemme give you a parallel example, why would most countries take their businesses to asia especially china but not south america or the carribean islands?  we all have differ mentalities.  i hope i'm answering your curiosity.   bye 4 now!   peter in NYC

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-3 07:30:13 |Display all floors
Originally posted by pjtran at 2006-12-3 06:09
aiyo, skygor--this is a very touchy subject to discuss, and your question is valid.  lemme give you a parallel example, why would most countries take their businesses to asia especially china but n ...

***always to be yourself***

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-12 06:58:36 |Display all floors
fact check, fact check

I think you got your facts wrong pal

Obviously you've never been to New York or Chicago! :)
Living in New York, Traveling in China.  Let's do business!
whiteboy4us@hotmail.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-12-13 01:12:48 |Display all floors
Originally posted by skygor at 2006-11-24 00:32
Any American dear to Answer these following questions??

Why do1/3 of the black population in America been in Prison or living in Prison?

Why is  ...

Where did you get these facts? Please refrain from spreading baseless propoganda.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.