Author: wchao37

So what's happening to Malaysia's Mahathir   [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-11-7 17:42:39 |Display all floors

Q & A -- 5

QUESTION: When you were prime minister your comments, whether people liked them or not, raised the profile of Malaysia within Asean [the Association of Southeast Asian Nations] and the different organizations of developing countries, within the OIC [Organization of the Islamic Conference]. Do you think that Abdullah has lowered Malaysia's profile?

ANSWER: He seems to have caused Malaysia to abdicate its role as a spokesman especially for the Third World, OIC, NAM [Non-Aligned Movement]. He seems to be much more inclined to go along with those powerful countries like America, Britain, Australia. And of course he's extra friendly toward Singapore to the point where three years after his being in the seat there has been no substantial agreements reached on numerous issues. The bridge is one of them. The water problem has not been resolved...

QUESTION: Let's talk political strategy. You have made your move, re- entered the political area. What's the end game?

ANSWER: To get the government to correct itself. Not to do things which are not acceptable, like getting your family involved, like getting your family's companies involved.

QUESTION: Does this mean that Abdullah has to go?

QUESTION: You mentioned as a possible successor to him [former finance minister] Tengku Razaleigh Hamzah?

ANSWER: Whether it is Tengku Razaleigh or Najib [Tun Razak, the current deputy prime minister] or whoever, they are all entitled... When I was asked this question, Tengku Razaleigh's name cropped up. I said, 'Well of course, he is just as eligible as anybody else.' I could not say, 'he cannot be.' It is up to the party to make a choice.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-7 17:43:14 |Display all floors

Q & A -- 6

QUESTION: What about Najib?

ANSWER: Najib is just as good... Either one. There are others who are also in the running.

QUESTION: Such as...

ANSWER: Muhyiddin Yasin [industry minister] has been mentioned and he has ambition...

QUESTION: Will you attend the UMNO general assembly [beginning Nov. 13]?

ANSWER: I have not yet decided because I have to see because certain actions are going to be taken. I may even be expelled from the party.

QUESTION: You are hearing this or you are fearing this?

ANSWER: There is talk about it.

QUESTION: If you were to go you would be there in the capacity as a former president but you wouldn't have the right to speak. What good would it do?

ANSWER: Past presidents have always attended so I have just as much right to attend.

QUESTION: In the larger political sense you are up against Abdullah who got a significant mandate the year after he took over.... People like his personality, his style. What do you think it will take for people to come around to your side? Have you not enunciated the argument yet?

ANSWER: His strategy is to stop me from communicating with anybody, that way his popularity will be sustained or retained.

QUESTION: He is unlikely according to the current rules to be removed from UMNO office in large part because during your rule it was made more difficult to remove the top UMNO officers. Is this karma?

ANSWER: No, not quite. During that time we may have made it difficult to remove the leader but we did not stop people from criticizing the leader. I was very strongly criticized by the previous prime ministers and even by the candidates who went against me, Razaleigh, Musa Hitam, Abdullah himself.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-7 17:43:35 |Display all floors

Q & A -- 7

QUESTION: Some would say your dispute with Abdullah is personal. They say you have friends who benefited, contractors or other businessmen. They are no longer getting the contracts.

ANSWER: That is the old accusation against me, that I favored my friends. But I did not favor friends - these are people who are capable of doing things so they had opportunities. I can't possibly give the development of a port to a rickshaw puller. It must be somebody who has the capacity.... I am not interested in personal things... It's not because of pet projects either. What projects I carried out was for the national good.

QUESTION: Mahathir versus Abdullah is something that has caught the attention of the region. Do you ever wonder if it is worth it?

ANSWER: I tried my best to say that it is not a personal thing between the two of us. It's a question of how things are done in this country. I pointed out that things are wrong not because of the person but because they are done wrongly.

ANSWER: No, I think Abdullah could damage Malaysia more...

QUESTION: Do you still rule out [former deputy prime minister Anwar Ibrahim] as a possible prime minister in the future?

ANSWER: I have my opinion about him, about his suitability, but of course others may have other opinions. As far as I am concerned he has lost his opportunity...

QUESTION: And Malaysia would be worse off if he were prime minister?

ANSWER: Probably.

QUESTION: Let's talk about the longer term... What is your biggest fear for Malaysia?

ANSWER: I think Malaysia has good opportunities if it is properly managed, if you understand that opportunities come even with problems. Yes, we have China. We have to compete with China but China can become a big market for Malaysia, China can become a very big investor in Malaysia.

QUESTION: The Sutlan of Johor asked why you don't settle down like a pensioner. Are you tempted by that? Reading John Grisham novels on the beach, playing with your grandchildren? The medical community talks about three blockages in your heart. You are getting along. Isn't this a time to slow down?

ANSWER: No I think I have an obligation to the country and to the people. I don't care much about what happens to me. I have worked hard all this while, even after I had my heart attack, I did not slow down. I think life would not be worthwhile if you are thinking about having a good time after you retire.

QUESTION: Do regret having stepped down?

ANSWER: No, I would have stepped down. There is no way I can know what is going to happen.

QUESTION: You have the tape of the meeting of the so-called peace talks with Abdullah. Are you going to release that?

ANSWER: Maybe one day.

QUESTION: You have a copy of it in your closet?

ANSWER: Somewhere.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-8 15:25:58 |Display all floors

Mr. Chao...let Dr. Mahathir retire in peace!

He is  a GREAT STATESMAN at the end, he managed to deflect the financial attack created by the JOINT SINGAPOREAN-AMERIKAN REGIME.

If Dr. Mahathir had failed, HOng KOng, China might also be in trouble today as the markets in South East Asia rot in FINANCIAL MESS like Latin America!

Let it rest, Mr. Chao!

For all his demonic deed, he is not so bad!
He did it for his tribe and knew when to stop!

Green Dragon
Lord of the code
King

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-8 21:59:28 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2006-11-8 15:25
He is  a GREAT STATESMAN at the end, he managed to deflect the financial attack created by the JOINT SINGAPOREAN-AMERIKAN REGIME.

If Dr. Mahathir had failed, HOng KOng, China might also be in tr ...

I am for Mr. Mahathir, Mrs. Greendragon.

What's with you?  Weird.

Quoting a Western viewpoint doesn't mean I agree with it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-15 15:47:23 |Display all floors
Originally posted by wchao37 at 2006-11-8 21:59

I am for Mr. Mahathir, Mrs. Greendragon.

What's with you?  Weird.

Quoting a Western viewpoint doesn't mean I agree with it.

REPLICA FROM TIMES MAGAZINE!!!

Now Mr Mole has 2nd job !!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-11-16 11:26:32 |Display all floors

Doc. Mahathir is having a terrific retirement!

He is the ADVISOR to two trades, AUTOMOTIVE and CRUDE OIL.

Gosh! That guys is having the HIGH LIFE!
sHucks, only he is like 81 years old....

Old Demigod Lee still have to do overtime,
He overdid his COOKING, now he has to do damage control!

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Lord of the code
King

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.