Author: greendragon

Gods, Demons, Philosophers and Angels... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-8 10:18:50 |Display all floors
Originally posted by karenb at 2006-10-8 09:16
As Tao Te Ching says, He is the "Always So."  ...

This is what supremacist/ imperialist disgust me... they think their god is supreme ruler and all other philosophies are their subordinate follower.

I suggest you to accept the reality that Lao Zi lived and passed away before your so called god's birth... and he's no subordinate to anyone.

[ Last edited by northwest at 2006-10-8 10:29 AM ]
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 10:26:01 |Display all floors

OPPOSITE

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 10:27:35 |Display all floors

PUSHY is another trait of them

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 13:51:52 |Display all floors

Northwest, a very reasonable argument

Originally posted by northwest at 2006-10-8 10:14

What I mean is... do you think that being religious and increasing religion's followewer will make the world a better place? Being religous will create lasting peace and harmony, avoid war and  ...

My statement was that increased morality benefits society, and I think anyone would agree with that.

However, you bring up the point that if there's a whole lot of Christians and a whole lot of Muslims, won't that cause less harmony instead of more.  Well, there's a couple ways to look at it.

For one thing, monotheists, such as Christians and Muslims, are not as intolerant as you might think.   For instance, the USA is a nation made up primarily of monotheists (Christians, Muslims, and Jews).  The people from these 3 different religions all live side by side in harmony in America.  In fact, there is a Muslim mosque located just next to my own Christian church back in America, and that hasn't caused any problems.   

There is nothing in the Bible that instructs Christians to kill people who don't believe the same way -- rather the Bible says to simply live a moral and loving life in the midst of a world that does not believe.  Likewise, the Muslim Koran espressly instructs Muslims to give special courtesy to "people of the book" (meaning Jews and Christians).   Thus, if Christians and Muslims are following the teachings of their respective religions (and there lies the catch), there shouldn't be the conflict that we see going on today.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 13:58:23 |Display all floors

Philosophy is search for the truth

Originally posted by northwest at 2006-10-8 10:18

This is what supremacist/ imperialist disgust me... they think their god is supreme ruler and all other philosophies are their subordinate follower.

I suggest you to accept the reality that  ...

Lao Zi recognized the existence of  "the way" that preceeded all created things.  

Lao Zi did indeed live and die centuries before God became incarnate as a man (Jesus).  

But God existed long before time began:  "In the beginning was the Word (Dao), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."  (John 1:1)

[ Last edited by karenb at 2006-10-8 02:09 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 14:06:59 |Display all floors

Chineseyang --

I am sorry that you have had such a negative experience with the Christians you have known.  I wonder, do you think that you possess any of the same traits that you attribute to Christians?

I also wonder if some of the negative experiences you have had were because of cultural conflicts (i.e. a Chinese living in Australia) or even simply personality conflicts (and we all know what a warm and fuzzy person you are) that were not particularly related to faith.  

I found your statement quite interesting that your bad experiences with Christians were outside China.  Have you had any experiences with Chinese Christians within China, and if so, how did that go?  If not, I would encourage you to perhaps check out that aspect of Christianity (as it is displayed within your own culture) and see if you find it more agreeable.

[ Last edited by karenb at 2006-10-8 02:10 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-8 14:12:26 |Display all floors

Pascal's wager

"If you erroneously believe in God, you lose nothing (assuming that death is the absolute end), whereas if you correctly believe in God, you gain everything (eternal bliss). But if you correctly disbelieve in God, you gain nothing (death ends all), whereas if you erroneously disbelieve in God, you lose everything (eternal damnation)."                    
                   Mathematician & Philosopher, Blaise Pascal

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.