Gods, Demons, Philosophers and Angels... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-7 17:33:19 |Display all floors

Is that your god's

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 17:37:00 |Display all floors

judgement defined

Chineseyang said:

"Judgment means n. the estimate by God of the ultimate worthiness or unworthiness of the individual of all mankind. God’s subsequent decision determining the final destinies of all individuals."

Yes, you are correct on this.  Note that the important word here is God.  God's estimate of the worthiness or unworthiness of the individual.  God's subsequent decision determining the final destinies of all individuals."

Now, I'm not sure which Nazi war criminal you were referring to; however, it is not his (or any human beings) role to decide a person's worthiness and final destination.  That is for God alone to decide.

We do, of course, have courts of law, and police, and even lawyers (which I believe you are, if I remember correctly) to keep peace and stability in the land.  Sometimes they are decent and honest institutions, and sometimes they are corrupt.  But once again, these are government institutions (except for the lawyers, who are sometimes private), not religious organizations.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 17:43:03 |Display all floors

no, not comparing

I was not comparing the Cultural Revolution to the atrocities of the Japanese.  Of course, the Japanese rape, torture, mutilation, and murder of countless Chinese (and other people) was far worse than the violence of Chinese against Chinese in the Cultural Revolution.  The point was not that they were the same.  The point was that they were both wrong -- they were both crimes against humanity,  and yet these crimes were not committed by Christians -- they were committed by Shintoists, Buddhists, and Athieists.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 17:43:07 |Display all floors

it is how you

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 17:52:57 |Display all floors

Getting back to the main point -- Moral Absolutes

Whether Christian, Buddhist, non-religious, or what have you, we all agree that there are some things that are just right, and some things that are just wrong.

For instance, we would all agree that slander is wrong.  Stealing and looting is wrong.  Sexual actions on children are wrong.   Helping other people is right, being honest is right, honoring one's parents is right.  And we could probably make a really long list here -- all of us working together, even though we come from various religions or non-religions, even though we come from many different countries -- there's just a number of things that we would agree on that are right and wrong.

So where do these universal ideas on right and wrong come from?  Doesn't it point to Something beyond ourselves, beyond our own cultures and upbringings?  

Doesn't it point to Something which is directing the universe, and which appears as a law urging us to do right and making us feel responsible and uncomfortable when we do wrong?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 17:56:48 |Display all floors

I think you have me confused with someone else?

I didn't ratify any international laws.  In fact, I have nothing to do with the law whatsoever, except, obeying it most of the time.   I've only been in a court of law one time, and that was because of a traffic infraction.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 18:25:42 |Display all floors

it is immaterial

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.