Author: greendragon

Gods, Demons, Philosophers and Angels... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-10-5 12:25:48 |Display all floors

Reply #6 christopher_104's post

Mr. Christopher!

We have helped solved a CASE OF DEMONIC possession in the UK!
The IRA is ready to sign a PEACE TREATY with the British Government!
Finally an end to SEIN FENNs reign of terror!

ha ha ha

What's that about terrorism? Which Demon?

ha ha ha

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 17:18:15 |Display all floors

I do believe in God, angels, demons,

and that there is truth in a lot of different philosophies

but rank what?

where the angels and demons and all fall into place

rank the philosophers?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 18:34:35 |Display all floors

God's existence is proved...

...by His law in our hearts (conscience).  We've all got a conscience, whether we follow it or not.  Where does it come from?

One of my favorite philosophers is C.S. Lewis (author of "The Lion, the Witch, & the Wardrobe" upon which the recent movie "Narnia" was based)

Anyway, he had this to say about the law of human nature.

"There are two odd things about the human race.  First, they are haunted by the idea of a sort of behaviour they ought to practise, what you might call fair play, or decency, or morality, or the Law of Nature.

Second, that they do not, in fact, do so.

Now, have you noticed that what we usually call the "laws of nature" may not really be "laws" in the strict sense, but only in a manner of speaking.  When you say that falling stones always obey the law of gravitation, is not this much the same as saying that the law only means "what stones always do?"  You do not really think that when a stone is let go, it suddenly remembers that it is under orders to fall to the ground.

But if you turn to the law of human nature, it is a different matter.  The law certainly does not mean "what human beings, in fact, do"; for as I said before, many of them do not obey this law at all, and none of them obey it completely.

You have the facts (how men do behave) and you also have something else (how they ought to behave)

The Moral Law or Law of Human Nature is not simply a fact about human behaviour in the same way as the Law of Gravitation is.  On the other hand, it is not a mere fancy, for we cannot get rid of the idea, and most of the things we say and think about men would be reduced to nonsense if we did.

Consequently, this Rule of Right and Wrong, or Law of Human Nature, or whatever you call it, must somehow or other be a real thing -- a thing that is really there, not made up by ourselves. It begins to look as if we shall have to admit that there is more than one kind of reality;  that, in this particular case, there is something above and beyond the ordinary facts of men's behaviour, and yet quite definitely real -- a real law, which none of us made, but which we find pressing on us."

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 20:16:45 |Display all floors
Originally posted by karenb at 2006-10-6 18:34
God's existence is proved...
...by His law in our hearts (conscience).  ...

And your god allow those religious fanatics instigate war, colonialism and lie using his name?
师夷长技以制夷

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 20:17:09 |Display all floors

Hiya Ms. Karenb! Wow you got "strong opinions"...

...firstly, i guess you are a Christian? correct?

My question is....
How would a human being react when confronted to the idea of Gods, Demons, Angels and Philosophers.

Forget about which god is the "true god", or which are "demons"....
and how would a simple person, a skilled workmen, a competent technician, a professional with understanding of theories behave? Would a person lacking one of the five sense react to this idea or reality of Gods, Demon, Angels and Philosophers.

I just want to learn more about you. I find evangelist kind of "fun" !

Green Dragon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-6 21:19:06 |Display all floors

how would a human being react?

My question is....
How would a human being react when confronted to the idea of Gods, Demons, Angels and Philosophers.

Well, I guess that would depend on the human being.  Some would react with faith :)  some would scoff or laugh

Forget about which god is the "true god", or which are "demons"....
and how would a simple person, a skilled workmen, a competent technician, a professional with understanding of theories behave? Would a person lacking one of the five sense react to this idea or reality of Gods, Demon, Angels and Philosophers.

I don't know that a person's belief in God or the supernatural depends on whether he is a simple person or a skilled workman, or an educated professional.  There are plenty of people in these categories who do believe in God, and plenty who do not.  Similarly, someone who was blind or deaf -- well, they could believe or not believe.  

For me, even though I grew up in an atheist family, with no religious instruction, I always believed there was a God.  It just seemed so obvious.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-10-7 09:20:05 |Display all floors

If God exists, then why is there evil in the world?

Northwest brought up a good question.

Evil in the world exists because men (and women) refuse to acknowledge God.

The book of Romans in the Bible (chapters 1 &  2) deals with this.  Basically, even though the existence of God should be obvious (through creation and through our consciences -- we'll talk more about this later), human beings have "suppressed the truth" -- in other words, they have either...

1) denied the existence of God altogether

or they have

2) acknowledged the existence of God, but have refused to follow the "law of nature" that He has put in every person's heart.  In other words, they did not honor God as God, and they did not give thanks.

The result of either #1 or #2 is that the hearts of men were darkened, and they began to have all sorts of speculations and philosophies about who God really was.  

Some exchanged the worship of the Creator for the worship of creation -- in other words, they began to worship idols made of wood or stone or metal -- things that God had created and that man had crafted.

The Bible says that "God gave them over" to degrading passions and a depraved mind -- in other words, God does not force people to believe in Him or to obey Him -- this is the free choice of every person to make.  But the result of not believing or not obeying is darkness -- evil, greed, envy, murder, arguments, lies, slander, gossip, disobedience to parents, lack of trust, lack of love, lack of mercy.  People who do this things know that they are going against the "law of nature" -- or the common rules of decent behavior -- and yet they do it anyway, and even encourage others to do the same.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.