Author: chrissun

share your opinions on 9/11 5th Anniversary [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-9-6 20:31:27 |Display all floors

How great a risk?

Risk equals probability times consequences. During the Cold War, strategists understood that even the slight possibility of a nuclear war that could kill every American made it imperative to do everything possible to avoid nuclear conflict. Similarly, the magnitude of the consequences of even a single nuclear bomb exploding in just one U.S. city swamps differences in judgments about the likelihood of such an attack. A terrorist armed with one nuclear bomb could murder a million people--killing in one day twice as many American souls as died in both World Wars combined.

On a normal workday, half a million people crowd the area within a half-mile radius of New York City's Times Square. If terrorists detonated a 10-kiloton nuclear weapon in the heart of midtown Manhattan, the blast would kill them all instantly. Hundreds of thousands of others would die from collapsing buildings, fire, and fallout in the hours and days thereafter.

The blast would instantly vaporize Times Square, Grand Central Terminal, and every other structure within half a mile of the point of detonation. Buildings three-quarters of a mile from ground zero would be fractured husks.

Lest this seem too hypothetical, recall an actual incident that occurred in New York City one month to the day after the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center and Pentagon. A CIA agent, code-named Dragonfire, reported that Al Qaeda had acquired a live nuclear weapon produced by the former Soviet Union and had successfully smuggled it into New York City. A top-secret Nuclear Emergency Support Team was dispatched to the city. Under a cloak of secrecy that excluded even Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, these nuclear ninjas searched for the 10-kiloton bomb whose blast could have obliterated a significant portion of Manhattan. Fortunately, Dragonfire's report turned out to be a false alarm. But the central takeaway from the Dragonfire case is this: The U.S. government had no grounds in science or in logic to dismiss the warning.

A nuclear terrorist attack on the United States would have catastrophic consequences even for other countries. After the nuclear detonation, the immediate reaction would be to block all entry points to prevent another bomb from reaching its target, resulting in the disruption of the global "just-in-time" flow of goods and raw materials. Vital markets for international products would disappear, and closely linked financial markets would crash. Researchers at RAND, a U.S.-government-funded think tank, estimated that a nuclear explosion at the Port of Long Beach in California would cause immediate indirect costs worldwide of more than $3 trillion and that shutting down U.S. ports would cut world trade by 10 percent.

The negative economic repercussions would reverberate well beyond the developed world. As U.N. Secretary-General Kofi Annan has warned, "Were a nuclear terrorist attack to occur, it would cause not only widespread death and destruction, but would stagger the world economy and thrust tens of millions of people into dire poverty."  

How does one assess the probability of an unprecedented event that could have catastrophic consequences? Since there is no established methodology, the soundest way to proceed is to ask and answer the core questions: who, what, where, when, and how?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-7 11:40:45 |Display all floors

Reply #5 caringhk's post

Happy Birthday! Mr. caringhk..

Green Dragon
Lord of Peace

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-7 19:52:26 |Display all floors

Reply #1 chrissun's post

THE DANCING ISRAELIS

Like most people I believed the story of 9/11 as told by
our very trustworthy friends the Americans.

Only within the last few weeks am I beginning to think
we have MAY been subject to a giant confidence trick

As the saying goes: "The bigger the lie the more people believe it"

I am not saying I know the facts, but I have a feeling there is something
wrong with the official line.

The 5th anniversary of 9/11 leaves me in doubt about the whole thing.

I show two screenshots below one from Scotlands award winning newspaper
The Scotsman

It is indisputable fact *  that the Israelis were arrested,(see the screenshot below)
my feeling is they did not think anybody would notice them dancing for joy when
everybody was looking at the 9/11 attack. If the Israelis knew but said nothing that
does not mean Israel was involved in the attack of course: however the story
is now much more complicated than I thought .Also : What about the "dancing Israelis"?
What was there to dance about?

* It is on police records.

I will attract abuse by some forum supporters of Israel for this post,
but what's new?

[ Last edited by christopher_104 at 2006-9-7 12:15 PM ]
mossad christopher bollyn.JPG
scotlands  award winning newspaper the scotsman.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-8 11:03:31 |Display all floors
Originally posted by greendragon at 2006-9-7 11:40
Happy Birthday! Mr. caringhk..

Green Dragon
Lord of Peace

Pssst!!!

A PM will do!!!

Thxs anyway since i can't undo yr post!!!
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 03:48:24 |Display all floors

At last Americans are being forced to face facts about Israel and 9/11

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 05:17:43 |Display all floors

The State of Confusion and Confabulation.

" The Truth always prevails " ! How comforting it is for those of us branded as " anti-American " all these years to start feeling exonerated when " revelations " like these begin to appear. The lies delivered by Dubya, Rumsfeld, Cheney and Powell to the world but especially to their fellow citizens as justifications for going to war have come home to roost. The gagging and muzzling of those who did speak up , the demonisation of them from " traitors " to " anti-American " demonstrate the mind-set that is motivating this administration. It is a state of confusion, confabulations and cowardly acts.

Explain to the families of the 2000 American dead as soldiers sacrificed at the altar of connivance, the 100,000 dead Iraqi civilians who have no quarrels with the Americans, that it was all a " mistake " !!?? The trust that the world, and the American people had towards the USA has been ripped apart and raped.

It is never too late to repent and be accountable even now. On this 5th anniversary of that horrible horrible crime of 9.11. at least one side ( the professed good guy side ) should take the bull by the horn and come clean , explaining the dossier half truths, phonies and down right lies which " justified the war ". This takes true leadership and courage. Are we going to see this ? or are we in for another wave of spin on the spin , rave on the rant. Let us see.

[ Last edited by mengzhi at 2006-9-9 05:34 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-9-9 18:27:46 |Display all floors
in my opinion ,everything exits with the resons actually.SO I think what we treat the terror is not inportant ,for the world will never be fair.There will be war somewhere and kllling never stop,which give us only terrible feeling and unsafe.But in all ,I think the terror is still a bad thing to the whole world.I hate it ,and I'm sure the govement will give the terror great attack and give all the members of the world a peace and beautiful space.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.