Views: 19878|Replies: 52

Is Chinas smoking culture attractive? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-22 09:13:59 |Display all floors
In mainland China you can basicallly smoke anywhere almost.  Its expected that if your guest in your home smokes then you are to give them an ashtray and allow them to smoke even when you dont.
It is very rare that you will find a non smoking restaurant with a boss who is willing to enforce the rules.  
Does this appeal to you?
Now to all those out there who are in love with CHina, please know that i am not insulting China nor saying its a bad country.  I am simply asking a question about the smoking culture in China.

Some Lao wai and Chinese seem to love the smoking culture.  Some absolutely hate it.  So im writing this poll to find out who actually enjoys the smoking culture in China and who doesn't.  Whats the percentage in this forum!!  

Thankyou

P.s - for all who have never been to China.  In the AREA that i live in most people are afraid to ask someone to smoke elsewhere because they dont want to cause offence, so they then put up with passivly injesting the smoke.
Single choice vote, There are a total of 0 people participating in the poll
26.09% (12)
73.91% (34)
Your current user group has no poll permission

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 09:54:05 |Display all floors
Originally posted by hidenseek at 2006-8-22 09:13
In mainland China you can basicallly smoke anywhere almost.  

In my experience ,in most of the supermarket and movie theatre ,there is rarely people smoking .but in restaurants is very common .

In my opion, smoking is the smoker’s right ,and if his behaviors disturb you ,you can ask him to stop.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 10:05:42 |Display all floors

to #2

And what if he says no? Why should anyone be forced to suffer the secondhand smoke just so one person can fulfill his or her nicotine craving?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 10:13:42 |Display all floors

To sockmonkey

In that case , you’d better leave or ask the restaurant to find a single room to you and your friends .

When can’t change the smokers behaviors ,we can but change ourselves or avoid.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 10:25:13 |Display all floors
that's true but i think many people smoking everywhere; some people like it and others not so everyone has their right like others things although that is a bad habit. in my way of thing is that people should smork less than less it should be step by step, so do u agree?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 10:41:33 |Display all floors

So your giving up a non-smokers freedom for a smokers freedom?

The non-smoker should leave or be banished to some isolated part of the restaurant to appease the smoker? Wy not the smoker leave or go to some corner of the restaurant? The non-smoker is not potentially harming anyone physically the smoker is , second hand smoke has been proven to couse cancer in non-smokers . The uncomfortable feeling of not having a nicotine fix may not be pleasant but will not harm the smoker or anyone else . One must ask a question, whats more important public safety or the freedom for a smoker to smoke wherever he wants? My vote is for public safety  by the way, I'm a smoker but want to quit. I have tried many times and failed many times . Anything that makes it harder for me to practice my filthy poisonous habit is fine with me.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-22 10:55:16 |Display all floors
Reasonable but difficult to resolve .

Hail you for trying to stay away from the smoking addiction.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.