- Registration time
- Last login
- Online time
- 1338 Hour
- Reading permission
A hillbilly thinks black & asians are the same as him??? heehee...
Agree with sock - except there ARE actually a LOT of people who can't afford a car, even an old beat-up one. A woman I worked with (she had a full time job!) could not afford a car, she was a single mom with 3 kids, and finally one day an old man she knew had to stop driving due to poor eyesight, so he only asked her for $400 for his junky old car. She couldn't even get up that much on the spur of the moment, so our boss was kind enough to lend her the money. Her family could not even lend her that much. And many will never have cars especially in inner cities where they are not as necessary anyway. The priorities are food, rent and utility bills. Cars are not even on the list.|
Some people are poor enough to receive food benefits from the gov't. Perhaps they won't starve, but they are not eating healthy nutritious food. Their food shopping cart is filled with:
- the cheapest boxes of macaroni & cheese, etc (little nutrition)
- canned vegetables because they are cheaper than fresh or frozen but have less nutrition,
- kid's drinks that are nothing but sugar, water, & color (and fake flavors)
- cheap processed fatty meats like bologna & cheap hot dogs (rarely steak or "whole" meat)
- the cheapest white bread (little nutrition)
If I was rich, this would be my shopping cart:
- whole grain breads, cereals & pasta (3-4x more expensive than the cheapest)
- lean fresh meats for my son (definitely more $$)
- fresh organic vegetables & fruits (3-8x more expensive than canned)
- 100% pure juices (3-4x more$$ than above drinks)
Those two shopping carts are VASTLY different in terms of total price, AND nutritional value, definitely affecting the health of the lucky eaters.
There is NO WAY everyone eats the same, or poor people can afford to eat what rich can eat, and I'm not even talking about fancy restaurants for show, I'm talking about shopping from the same food store.
[ Last edited by freakyqi at 2006-8-12 06:02 AM ]