Author: travolta

it's unfair to regard all chinese as racists only by some unique cases [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-8-9 13:42:45 |Display all floors
let me tell u man....!!! racism is a kind of objective reality... it's in existence in any countries...which is a fact  u can never deny...

no country is to blame for that as long as the government takes an objective attitude towards the issue and is doing what it can to shape its people mind about it...

i understand that travolta was talking about people's likes and dislikes...she doesn't mean anything evil against blacks...u are a bit too pricky on her wording...maybe...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-9 14:08:02 |Display all floors
Originally posted by johnyou at 2006-8-9 13:42
let me tell u man....!!! racism is a kind of objective reality... it's in existence in any countries...which is a fact  u can never deny...

no country is to blame for that as long as the governm ...

Dear John - I prefer John Travolta!!!

Grease is the Word!!!

Saturday Night Fever!!!  
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-9 16:27:38 |Display all floors
to caringhk
hoho,john travolta is one of my favourite actors,i appreciate his performance in Face Off and Swordfish,so i named me Travolta in internet.

to johnyou
maybe you can call me brat,thank you for understanding,maybe racism is  too sensitive  to be discussed,and everyone will insist his  view about it,so why don't we talk about something others in jollily,i am sure it must be a interesting experience.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-9 16:34:19 |Display all floors
ok, brat...what is yr favorite topic?...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-9 17:24:54 |Display all floors
anything,movie,music,social problem,etc...en...i just wish we can discuss in a state of agreeable and less solemnity...haha

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-9 17:31:26 |Display all floors

hi travolta......

I do apologize if I sounded a bit too picky as someone suggested. I just thought you were one of those many Chinese (not all fgs!) that say I like all the foreigners but I hate Japanese and blacks!

I know more than probable it is not your case.......but in the future to avoid being classifed as what you are not try to phrase your arguments in the proper way.

Peace on earth to everybody!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-8-14 00:38:37 |Display all floors

preference is not racism

longzhou said:
"Stating in the first line of your argument that "we are not racist" to immediately say in the second "i don't deny we prefer whites to blacks" is simply a contradiction.

If you prefer whites to blacks, yellows to green, blue to purple.....you're just disciminating one color for another; when we refer to people; that is being racist and I don't mean that has to be necessarily negative, but still."

This is a very sad, but common, misunderstanding.  Allow me to demonstrate.

Personally, I have a preference for women who are slender, not fat.  I have a preference for women who are medium height (not very short, not very tall).  I have a preference for women with red hair and green eyes (which I find incredibly sexy -- think Nicole Kidman).  I could go on and on and on.

Having a preference for women who are slender doesn't make me a "fattist".  Having a preference for women who are medium height doesn't make me "heightist".  Having a preference for women with red hair/green eyes doesn't make me a "colorist".  Fact is, EVERY PERSON ON THE PLANET has certain traits that they find more attractive, and certain traits that they find less attractive.

So it is okay for me to prefer women who are slender, average height, with red hair and green eyes -- but if I happen to add that I prefer women who are of a particular RACE, suddenly I'm a "racist"?  Ridiculous.

People ARE different.  ACKNOWLEDGING those differences does not make one a racist.  Even having certain preferences does not make one a racist.  What, will you try to argue that its okay for me to notice a woman's eye color, but not her skin color?  How bloody ridiculous is that?

I'd like to add here -- I am white, but have a black brother and sister (adopted), and have had Chinese gf.  I  have friends of numerous races, nationalities, religions, etc.  Not a single one of them would call me racist.  Yet, the fact remains, I have a definite preference for certain kinds of physical appearance -- which is true for pretty well EVERY person on the planet.

Now, if you say something like, "I could never be friends with or love a blackwhite/asian person", I'd say that's a different thing.  Now you are not stating a certain PREFERENCE; you are, instead, grouping all people of a particular race together, and declaring that REGARDLESS of their actual personality, relationship, etc., you would never like them, or never love them, based ONLY on their skin color.  THAT I would consider racist.

To illustrate -- I have a PREFERENCE, as I said before, for slender women of average height, with red hair and green eyes.  But I've had Chinese gf; I've had gf who was not slender; etc.  

I agree with the original post.  There IS definitely some racism in China -- as there is in every country in the world.  But not every Chinese is racist.  And having a PREFERENCE for a particular physical appearance (skin color, eye color, hair color, height, weight, etc.) does not automatically make you a racist.

[ Last edited by canadianguy at 2006-8-14 12:44 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.