Views: 9284|Replies: 13

travel to USA [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-7-11 13:44:19 |Display all floors
Is there anyone who has traveled USA? We are planning to travel USA in August or September. Our plans are like from San Francisco to Washington we will cross some states. If you have the experience like what state is beautiful or something special in somewhere will be very helpful for us. The criminal is bad in what state or terrible weather in what state. I was told that do not talk to black people but I know there are some white people are worse than black. So anyway not talking to strangers that’s for sure. To be honest I do not like France that much. The country is beautiful but French are kind of arrogant I think Italian is more friendly compare with French. Thanks for any reply ..

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-11 17:51:33 |Display all floors

well,well,well

It seems you have all those opinions about people when I guess you have hardly ytravelled around the world! Before giving opinions on people, get yourself a good pair of eyes and a pair of ears. They're usefull to see the different things the world has to show us and to hear the different opinions people have.

As per your quesion of travelling the USA, from my personal point of view two options are the best:

a) AMTRACK trains cross the country offering a variety of options

b) GREYHOUND buses, this might be a little bit more tiryng but it is an incredible way of meeting all those different people and seeing different towns and villages across USA.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-11 22:06:10 |Display all floors
Beijinggirl, that kind of attitude will surely make your trip an unpleasant experience.  Racism is widely accepted in many countries (whether they admit it or not), but it is a huge taboo in the US.  There are no states with more or fewer criminals than any other one.  You need to be careful in certain parts of large cities, which is good advice anywhere in the world.  Sure, there are bad sections of Philadelphia, but that's like saying all of Guangdong is bad because of a few bad people in Guangzhou.  And do you mean Washington state or Washington, DC?  They are about 5000 kilometers apart.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-12 00:50:59 |Display all floors

I would not worry much

Since you are an Asian girl everyone will like you. There  are criminal in each corner of the courtry; just stay near public places like restaurant and hotels. As far as traveling, I will not recommend  going to States to States.  Just plan like 4 cities. San Francisco, Los Angles, DC and New York should be good enough. I would fly instead of taking the train.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-13 05:13:36 |Display all floors
Oh Beijinggirl, please don't be afraid to talk to people!!! And living here, among all races, I can say I have NEVER heard of blacks being worse than whites to asians. Just like anywhere, people are all different. Imagine I come to China - some people will be friendly, some will be rude, some will just ignore me, and some will try to cheat me. There are all kinds everywhere, I hope you see that when you come.

I would say, to be honest, the only reason you may feel rudeness from americans is IF you come upon the ones who are not very patient with hearing other accents. For instance, if a stranger with an accent asks me a question, I will try to "hear him" and ask him to repeat himself if I don't understand, etc. But someone like my dad might be frustrated that he can't understand and just look annoyed and tell you to go ask someone else or say he doesn't know. If that happens just smile and say thank you and go ask someone else.

In China I asked 4 people where something was before I got a good answer that I understood - one woman waved me away and kept walking, she looked afraid of me! Two others pointed in opposite directions!
LOL...

But especially in SF there are SO MANY DIFFERENT kinds of people, you can't imagine! I can't wait until you see!! It's a very diverse and tolerant city, I lived there for almost a year. It's the best place for you I think, especially if you're afraid of strangers. And it has the oldest Chinatown so there are lots of asians there, strangers will probably just think you live there, they won't even know you're from China, really!!

Come to think of it, I'm so glad you're going to SanFranciso, I KNOW you'll be pleasantly surprised. Just take a walk in Golden Gate Park and start conversations with people, you'll see, you will not regret it! Walk through the whole park until you get to the end, at the shore, it's a beautiful view, you can sit on a rock and see the waves crashing on the rocks, and look out and imagine that China is ALLLLLLLLLL the way across there! Someone on the shore of China is looking across the same ocean!
Through the park you may see someone flying a kite, and people walking dogs, stop and ask if you can pet them, and people with children playing. Many Americans think it's very interesting to meet someone from another country and if you say right away you're visiting from CHina, many will ask what it's like there, etc.

Oh, if you're going across the country you MUST see the Grand Canyon. Absolutely, don't miss it. Leave a whole day to just sit and look at it.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-13 05:42:13 |Display all floors

ah, a memory....

Look what I found! This is in Golden Gate park, The Conservatory of Flowers:

http://www.conservatoryofflowers.org/

The first time I ever saw someone doing taiji in my life (for real, not just on TV) was at this place. It was so early in the morning, there was dew on the grass, I was very far from this building, no one else around... and very tiny in the center of the entrance area there was person dressed all in black doing taiji. I watched and thought "that looks like it feels good to do", and from then on I always wanted to try it, though it wasn't until a few years later that a good opportunity arose, and I have been doing it ever since. That image is stuck in my mind.
:)
400px-San_Francsisco_Golden_Gate_Park_Conservatory_of_Flowers.JPG

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-7-18 10:01:48 |Display all floors

million thanks

I am very appreciate about u guys help. to be honest I do not have any clue about USA. what I need I think just buy a book and mark some places that are famous like GREAT CANYON National Park ect. I am not that happy and excited about the trip because my kid can not go with me. sad sad sad. guess American movies are too violent ...drugs.. I am just alittle afraid. 14days trip is too much maybe 10 days is better. do not know why i get confused when i get the air tickets. maybe because my kid... going to miss her alot. anyway I will share some pictures with u guys when i come back....hehe . that takes some time to see those pictures. ..  HAVE A GREAT DAY !

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.