Views: 4198|Replies: 3

people who have read Tess of d'Uberville and Anna Karenina plz come in!! [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-2-17 17:53:17 |Display all floors
I am currently doing my very important essay on these two books.

i wanna ask u guys to what extent are men and societies attributable to Anna and Tess's tragics?

any thoughts and ideas would be appreciated!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-11 22:46:37 |Display all floors

tess

It's been a few years since I read Tess of the Dubervilles  it's a little difficult to remember now, but she seemed like a victim of not only being a woman but also a victim of her own beauty and the perception that she was "innocent" a child of nature.  Angel is by far the most objectional charater in this book,  he  throws Tess into a fantasy version of who she is, when confronted with the 'real Tess" he rejects her, realizing that she is not the virgin shepard he had though of her as. It's all a bit over the top. Thomas Hardy, was Victorian England's answer to soap operas. Give me Dickens any day over Hardy. My own favourite Hardy novel is "the woodlanders" not quite as sappy as some of his other books. My  version of tv here, big thick Dickens novels, right now it's Little Dorrit,  and Bleak House.  China sometimes reminds me of the Victorian England I read about in these books, lots of people in funny hats, and giant broom, wheeling and dealing, street urchins, crones, and  a whole assortment of  Dikensian charaters, ok I'm in a small factory town, and don't get out much, my nickname for the factory is "the Marshalsea"
Sorry I have really not answered your question at all.
b regards
the beaver

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-12 10:19:40 |Display all floors

i have read them, not no specifi comment. too long to remember most of the detai

sorry, but it is interesting to read such novels.

have you any ideas, please share with us and make us recall.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-7-12 17:58:45 |Display all floors

Anna Karenina

Hi
I am from New Zealand and have read Tolstoy's and other Russian classics. Can't remeber all the details, but some are in my book shelf or in a box somewhere,

What would you like to discuss?

Write to
travel2asia@hotmail.com

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.