Author: redspecial79

What do you think Western view about China? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2004-2-20 10:25:39 |Display all floors

Ordinary western people can not stop government behavior even though they com

Here is an article from the globeandmail written by  DOUG SAUNDERS
         " It's just wrong what we're doing"
        "We underestimated the power of nationalism to motivate a people to fight and die for their beliefs and values.
Our judgments of friend and foe alike reflected our profound ignorance of the history, culture, and politics of the people in the area, and the personalities and habits of their leaders.
We failed then -- and have since -- to recognize the limitations of modern, high-technology military equipment, forces and doctrine. . . . We failed as well to adapt our military tactics to the task of winning the hearts and minds of people from a totally different culture.
We failed to draw Congress and the American people into a full and frank discussion and debate of the pros and cons of a large-scale military involvement . . . before we initiated the action.
After the action got under way and unanticipated events forced us off our planned course . . . we did not fully explain what was happening and why we were doing what we did.
We did not recognize that neither our people nor our leaders are omniscient. Our judgment of what is in another people's or country's best interest should be put to the test of open discussion in international forums. We do not have the God-given right to shape every nation in our image or as we choose.
We did not hold to the principle that U.S. military action . . . should be carried out only in conjunction with multinational forces supported fully (and not merely cosmetically) by the international community.
We failed to recognize that in international affairs, as in other aspects of life, there may be problems for which there are no immediate solutions. . . . At times, we may have to live with an imperfect, untidy world.
Underlying many of these errors lay our failure to organize the top echelons of the executive branch to deal effectively with the extraordinarily complex range of political and military issues."

----------------------------Media serve as propaganda tools  for government forever in every country.

Use magic tools Report

bossel has been deleted
Post time 2004-2-20 10:31:17 |Display all floors

popcorn

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-20 10:41:54 |Display all floors

One more comment I want to make.

I am in Canada now. and I know what the seneca college is.

I one time listens to the radio around Nov 11 which is the memory day in canada, to memory those people die for this country in WWII, one caller had tried to explain what the patriotism is in Canada, as you know Canada is an immigrant country, who actually love this country?eveybody come from differnt country. and he said, patriotism should devided to two parts, one is for the government, and the other is for the people.

The government is all same, and there is no perfect government no matter where, chinese governent is one of the governments, then it is safety to say she has some problems, of course.however, I think everyone can see china is changing.and don't think what happen in china doesn't meant not happen in the west.

In the west if you has some friends of black people, you should know "I am black, and I am proud." it make sense to say chinese should proud to be chinese, I wonder what actually the purpose is for those comment full of hatres to chinese people, and ridiculously it comes from this very chinese.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-20 10:48:50 |Display all floors

To abccbc: If a chinese only copys your idea without judgement by himself. he m

We all know China 's media are controlled by government. Free talks often are filtered . But counterfeit cars and other criminal actions such as BMW case are illegal and have nothing to do with thousands of years chinese culture. Chinese never forces other countries ' people to accept our morality and doesn't colonize other countries ,and doesn't have any military  base in other countries. And i think INNOVATION  is far more important  for China than COPY.
COPY=plagiarism

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-20 10:56:02 |Display all floors

To Bossel: Hey , are you German? you get the point, most German are not intere

So there are no arguement about how western people know about China.
Well, i like Scorpion, a Germany rock'n'roll band. do you know any chinese music band?
---------------"Wind of Change" I like this song.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-20 17:02:24 |Display all floors

In my opinion

The Western view of China is normally distorted. Not that China hasn't got its own interior issues, but I think that frequently international media tend to stress the bad news. I arrived in China 2 years ago and found out that most of the "pictures" I had about China have nothing to do with daily reality, and some others that I never suspected, have been unveiled to me. In general, and talking from the scope that being a journalist gives me, I think that Chinese Media has greatly changed in the past 2 years. From not talking at all about the interior problems to facing them openly. SARS might have been the clear example of the effort this country did to fight mis-understanding of the illness and also mis-information.
To conclude I would say it is not so much on who was first on the human cultural race, but on how we can inter-act all together to get to a mutual understanding; I don't agree with the statement that more ancient means wiser, I just think each corner of the world has its "ins" and "outs" that are worth discovering. In this sense China is still a great unknown piece of the world for most of us. Let's discover the "goods" and be understanding with the "no so goods" of the country

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2004-2-20 19:57:18 |Display all floors

the biforcation Party/Country

Isn't true that China is the Party? i think that the Party is the identity (political) of China. Don't forget what China was before the coming of Chinese Communist Party. Just a Country used as economy resouce from foreign country. In 1949 began a New China. The Party gave a new identity to China. Yes we know, there was bad policies during the past forty fifthy years, but wich govern doesn't make it? let me know one. The situation of China changed a lot. It's no more the Mao's China, no more founded just on peasant, on workers, it developed. But this is in armony in the think of Mao. He was always agaist any fix way of think, the mind must go on, must change with the situation, this found it's root in chinese philosophy as Sun-tzu. Wich identity colud substitute the chinesee Party today? We must think that democracy is not the only right govern sistem. A lot of people has an eurocentric view, but don't forget that China is the "Zhongguo", "Middle Country". I don't know how much chinese people think to democracy or human rights, i think that people live it's "wisdom" in relation to the concept of what it means this word in it's country or culture, there's not a global application of this word, just see it from inside the culture. About my country Italy, i despite newspaper and isn't true that i seek expetation about China from it, i just ceck it to confirm how much disinformation there's about it. I studied a lot of things about China, it's history, it's policy and i think that everyone must before see what happen inside it's own country. Why China must learn from Western? Are we a so good model of life and freedom? i'm not sure.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.