Views: 3905|Replies: 3

World War II Atrocities [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-19 09:20:41 |Display all floors
I'm recently studying World War II in my Social Justice class. We recently went over World War II and discussed Social Justice issues at hand. (human dignity, theory of just war, etc) It is very well known what the Nazis (allegedly, some people believe it never happened) did. To you, the Chinese, it should be incredibly well known what the Japanese had done. Anyways, today I watched a documentary on World War II. (at home, not in class) The documentary was about Japanese war crimes and the trials that happened to punish those responsible. It was pretty standard stuff, but one thing caught my attention during the program. Are you familiar with the Japanese Unit 731? I don't know how many of you are, but after the show, I looked them up, what they did would turn stomachs.[the performed biological weapons research and many other experiements that would make you feel sick thinking about] But what honestly caught my attention was that most of them were never prosecuted by Allied Powers. Those that were only served very light sentences. Some doctors who performed terrible experiments on civilians were actually granted immunity, in exchange for the results of their experiments. I just felt utterly horrified by this. I just wanted to know how you felt about this situation. (PS: I might quote some of you for a paper on World War II so don't write anything you will regret seeing)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-19 18:24:45 |Display all floors

Yes, true, I have read about this.

The USA gave the Japanese immunity from prosecution if they co-operated with them. The US wanted to know what they learned about biological warfare.

The Japanese scientists however, were a very unscientific bunch, and they had no useful information to give, (`cos their scientific procedures were rubbish) but they still got immunity from prosecution, some of them then went on to work for the japanese health service/government and did very well for themselves.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-20 09:16:51 |Display all floors
Well, I still feel that those responsible for torturing and massacring of innocent civilians in the name of "science" should be punished. It's been over fifty years since it happened but I feel that justice should be done. Wrongs must be corrected and precautions made to ensure that events like this never happen again. I'll bring it up tomorrow in class and see what other students think.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-20 16:43:39 |Display all floors

It`s a bit late now tranman,

most of those war criminals will have lived and died in peace by now.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.