Views: 2343|Replies: 0

Mosuo Culture and Special Exhibition, April 22 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-12 00:16:34 |Display all floors
My abiding passion is in learning about different cultures; I work as a cross-cultural consultant, and have travelled extensively in China, visiting many different regions and many different minorities.

One minority that has particularly captured my interest, and my passion, is the Mosuo culture.  Although not very well-known, they are a very unique culture.  They have many aspects of matriarchal cultures, with women in charge of the family, owning all property, etc.  They also do not practice marriage; instead, women can choose (and change) partners as they please in a system called "zou hun" or "walking marriage".

One and a half years ago, I began working with the Mosuo to set up a non-profit organization to support them in their endeavors.  They live in one of the poorest regions of China, high in the Himalayan Mountains, on the border of Yunnan and Sichuan provinces.  Many villages still have no electricity; most have no running water.  Average annual income is around RMB 500-1000.

In January of this year, we completed registration of the Lugu Lake Mosuo Cultural Development Association.  We have established our website at www.mosuoproject.org, which I would encourage everyone to check out.  It has detailed information about the Mosuo culture, about our organization, and about the projects we plan to do.

On April 22, we will be holding an Art Exhibition in Ritan Park, to publicize our organization, and to raise funds for our work.  This will be a rather unique art exhibition, done in partnership with Montessori Schools; the "artwork" will be drawings and paintings done by local schoolchildren (from both international and Chinese schools), and the idea is that you "buy" a painting for a voluntary fee (whatever you want to give), and the money goes to support our work.  In addition, we will have a special exhibit of paintings done by Mosuo schoolchildren.

Throughout the day, we will have other activities, such as singing/dancing by Mosuo women, talks about Mosuo culture, and introductions about our organization and our work by several of the Mosuo members of our organization.  We will also be showing various movies and documentaries about the Mosuo throughout the day, and the directors of one of the documentaries will be there to talk about her time with the Mosuo, and the making of her documentary.

All in all, this should be a great day, and provide lots of entertainment and information for those who are interested in learning about one of China's most unique minority groups.  It is free to attend, no invitation is needed, and you can come/leave at any time you like (the art exhibition will be held all day, from approximately 9:00-5:00).

I'd also encourage you to pass this information on to your friends; the more people who come, the better!

Hope to see you there!

[ Last edited by canadianguy at 2006-4-12 12:19 AM ]
men(s).jpg
women3(s).jpg

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.