Author: lily_7810xu

What's the end of English learning? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-30 11:04:40 |Display all floors
Study English is hard work.!!  When will Chinese become "World language"..At that time ,we don't need to study english, on the contrary, they have to learn Chinese. :)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 13:45:55 |Display all floors
Study English is hard work.!!  When will Chinese become "World language"..At that time ,we don't need to study english, on the contrary, they have to learn Chinese.

I believe Chinese is considered an international language already, though I may be wrong.

However, if you like to promote Chinese language, perhaps we can send out teachers
from China worldwide to teach it, at least give it try and hope for the best.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 14:54:31 |Display all floors

Learning English is my interest?

At the very first, learning English is my interest. Some years later, i found i have to
depend on English for living. So the situation is not so positive. i have to master english as well as possible. But i do not know how to improve it.

sometimes, i found all the people around me knew english well. so how i can survive ?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-30 19:00:08 |Display all floors
At the very first, learning English is my interest.

Shirleyice, as long you have interest in learning English, you will be fine. Give yourself time
to learn this language and make sure you are interested in all elements of English equally:
such as grammar, vocabulary, writting, speaking, and reading. This is a lot to learn, and it
is not possible for an ESL(Englsh Second Language) person to learn it in one night or
one year.  The more you practice all of the above mentioned elements, the better you will
be; and when you don't understand something, get help immediately.

Some years later, i found i have to depend on English for living. So the situation is not
so positive. i have to master english as well as possible. But i do not know how to improve it.

This is a very hard question to answer precisely because I don't know what resources you have
to help you improve. However, judging from what you have written, I understand what you are
saying completely, despite I have to think about it for moment. To me, I believe you can
comunicate enough to work with international firm.

As for further improvement, you may want to try my first comment to your opening statement
quoted above.

sometimes, i found all the people around me knew english well. so how i can survive ?

As I have stated earlier, the more English you practice, the better you will be. Hence, if you find some
people doing better than you in English, it is likely that they have more practice or experience
than you do. That's all.

If you are looking for speed, then you need to build what I called "Habitual English". That is,
english by instinc, not by thinking. English children don't think about grammar when they speak, but
they are able to speak correctly from habbit. If this is what you want, then I suggest you try to learn
songs made for English children and read a lot of English children books until you know it by heart.
Then try to write it out from memory without referring back to the book. If you can do this, you will be
almost as good as any English person, but you must practicing it a lot. Plus, this is also great excercise
for your memory, and it is a lot of fun to do it with kids such as nieces, nephews, neighbors,
or cousins.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-31 06:43 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-31 14:32:46 |Display all floors

耐性 - which I think means "patience"

"English" is only ONE of China's many roads to 'super power' status. After a hundred years of mucking around we will witness China ascention  to it's rightful place - the "innovator" and not the "imitator".... Napoleon was right about China - it is a sleeping dragon and it will shake the world when it is fully awake.

"What's the end of English learning?" - the start of Mandarin being a core subject in every corner of the world's schools.  The only thing that China needs to adapt/ adopt fully is the use of 'pinyin' - traditional characters will always used (in China) it will not die out but in the digital age - the rest of the world will not easily give up the latin alphabet.

But the Chinese language will expand far beyond it's borders - in my opinion

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-1 15:17:48 |Display all floors
The topic is supposed to be "What is your purpose in learning  English? or What do you expect from learning English? "
     I think most of our chinese learning English is out of pragmatism: to pass English exams or hope to find a better job with a certificate.  That is why we spend too much time studying  and memorizing rigid grammarical rules instead of the common usages of daily english. on the other hand, china's education system seems to mislead chinese students: in some universities, students who fail in CET4 or TEM4 can not get their graduatation diploma, which forces students and teachers plunge into techniques in passing english exams. However, how many students who obainted CET 4, CET 6 are able to convey their thoughts in english?
    it is a fact that english, as an international language , is a very important  tool to communicate in the world, and It is truth that  joint-venture companies need employees who have good command of english. what about most of  chinese companies? Can they offer chances to  their employees to often use english on their job? if not, why these companies are so demanding for interviewees?
    Good command of english or computer is , to some extent, one of advantages on job but not the only one. For most empolyees, they are supposed not to be functional illiterates, and companies or society should value much more their competence on job. that is: their abilities to manage, cope with their work, also to be resourseful enough with people.
   if our society overstates the importance of english in our life and work, there is no doubt that chinese will more worship english as merit but ignore others.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-2 01:02:45 |Display all floors
I agree with linfanggv.Though my major is business English  ,but I don't think English is so important ,it
is just a tool for communication.I found most of Chinese ignorce their mother-language.We must pay more
attention to this phenomenon.We are Chinese ,Firstly,we must master our mother-language,and we can
make good use of it .Chinese ,as one of  the most popular  language in the world ,it speoke  by one forth
people in the world ,it is a international language .Have you even notice that .

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.