Author: lily_7810xu

What's the end of English learning? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-24 18:49:13 |Display all floors

A coin has two sides.

English is a common language all over the world nowadays. It is a tool to communicate and also it's a tool to learn things. So that's the function of English for most of us. But in China now, English learning is becoming a tendence, no matter what you want to be. If a student has no interest in English but has the most interest in math, why can't we let him learn what he likes? Why do we always force him to learn English?

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-24 19:48:10 |Display all floors
English is a common language all over the world nowadays. It is a tool to communicate and also it's a tool to learn things. So that's the function of English for most of us. But in China now, English learning is becoming a tendence, no matter what you want to be.

Agree, but note that I bolded the word "communicate" to clarify the objective of a language, and
you need not to go beyond being able to communicate, unless you want to be a laguage proffessor.

If a student has no interest in English but has the most interest in math, why can't we let him learn what he likes? Why do we always force him to learn English?

In my opinion, if a student like math, I would continue to encourage the student to as far as he/she can.
However, math is not a commication toot, but an abstract modeling tool for measurement.

Today, students have to learn their native language so that they can use it to express themselves anyway.
Is that forcing student to learn a language? Hence, it should be clear that if student have a new mean of
measuring something mathematically that he/she should be able to express his idea to the rest of us in our
common language because we don't understand abstract language, LOL. therefore, language is
a vital curriculum for all students.

Having said that ,English is only another language that is widespread throughout the world and
it be nice for student to be able to express his field of expertise in this language as well. Moreover,
no one can predict if the student will end up working for a non-chinese firm. In this case, the only
mean for non-chinese business people to communicate to Chinese people is English. And we can't
force non-chinese people to learn Chinese because they are not Chinese citizen. Thus, it is obvious
that student who can communicate in English will have additonal jobs opportunities than those who
cannot.

As for focing student to learn, I don't think it is a good idea to use force unless all other method
have been exausted, LOL. I will try my best to convince the young people to take the extra trouble
to learn english for the sake of their future and security.

And again, you don't have to be perfect, but you don't want to be too slopy either, that will make
you look like an unintelligent person.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-29 02:58 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 10:52:00 |Display all floors
it is just for all i have paid      this is a war between english and me

i need win   that is the reason why   maybe all i taked is useless but   whatever  for years i suffered the sick of  english-fear                     so my dear enemy    i won not give up for this war   but somehow      english is a  devil to me  and  i hope there was no english if i get a chance

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 14:42:41 |Display all floors
I learnt English for exams in the past and for better jobs now.
And I had to go on learning it ,especially in listening and speaking.So difficult for me to make progress.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 17:59:00 |Display all floors
I don't agree with you guys,I thinks Chinese will be the most important language in the near future less than a century! The reason we study English now,is that we will make our Chinese the most important language in the world!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 19:12:37 |Display all floors
it is just for all i have paid      this is a war between english and me

i need win   that is the reason why   maybe all i taked is useless but   whatever  for years i suffered the sick of  english-fear                     so my dear enemy    i won not give up for this war   but somehow      english is a  devil to me  and  i hope there was no english if i get a chance

First there's a different between English people and English language.
If you hate English people, I am sure you got your own reason for it. However, if you
hate English Language I can't agree with you entirely, and yes, no one can forces
to learn English. However, if you think big for your future, then you going to need it. Let's say
you are working as an International sale person who work on commission. Hence, without
English, you would have to learn French in order to sale your product in France, then you
have to learn Indian in order to product in India, then you have to learn Vietnamese in order
to sale your product in Vietnam. I bet you by the time you learning the afore mentioned
language, you will forgot how to do your job, and that is bad. Therefore, English language
come in handy for your future, and it need not to have anything to do with English people,
their culture or tradition whatsoever.

God Blesses all,

Forest Servant.

[ Last edited by forestservan at 2006-3-27 07:18 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-27 19:26:39 |Display all floors
I learnt English for exams in the past and for better jobs now.
And I had to go on learning it ,especially in listening and speaking.So difficult for me to make progress.  

Well, you cannot learn english in 1 day, month, or year. It take time, but I see you are on
the right track. It will be difficult at first, but it will soon get easier and easier. Just be patient
and keep on practicing it, and I mean both reading and writting at the same time.

Again, you don't need to be perfect, but be reasonable. That is, you just need to know enough
to understand someone message and being able to convey your message to other people,
and you can call that "the end." Anything thereafter is just extra bonuses, LOL.

God blesses all,

Forest Servant.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.