Author: ychanlili

How to give ourselves a proper English name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-4-1 13:35:55 |Display all floors
How about my english name ---Ivy Wang. hope somebody can give some comments, thank you in advance. I chose this name because of its meaning, Ivy is a kind of plant, and I guess it means ever green... and it is very simple in spelling, only 3 words and very easy to pronounce...I'd like to know your opinion towards it.

[ Last edited by ivy_wang at 2006-4-1 02:30 PM ]
MSN:llgytg@yahoo.com.cn

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-1 14:32:43 |Display all floors

Reply to Ivy (# 29).

Your name is from the British name for the Ivy plant.  It was originally "Ifig" about 1000 years ago. It became Ivy about 600 to 700 years ago.

This is a picture of the plant, English Ivy, where the name comes from.
Ivy.gif
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-1 14:46:44 |Display all floors

To Ziven

I study words, and names, and I cannot find any western or English name called Ziven.  Who gave you this name?  and where are they from?
LSR.  龙诗人  or  龍詩人
A crater on the planet Mercury is named 李白. (Li Bai)
http://dragonpoet.blogbus.com/

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-4-12 12:24:16 |Display all floors

Finding a new name.

If Lili is your actual name, Lily is perfectly acceptable as an alternative that sounds the name. Lillies are plants with beautiful flowers, so if you want to follow Chinese tradition and chose a name that is auspicious as well as sounding good, it is a wonderful choice. My sinicised name is Gaorui, which is pretty close to my actual given name. It is also quite lucky that Gao1 means "high/tall" as I am 195 cm tall, and rui4 to signify sharpness of intellect.

There are plenty of websites that give the meaning and explain the origins of Western given names. French, Spanish, Italian, and other variations of names are good to look at.
Xúe ér bú yàn,
Huǐ rén bú juàn.
          - Confucius.

HE_Gao-rui@yahoo.com.cn

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.