Views: 11198|Replies: 31

How to give ourselves a proper English name? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-19 08:31:25 |Display all floors
I had been looking for an English name since the first day I started to learn ABC's. But I failed. I can't find the proper name
Can I know your English name? Perhaps I can get some hints from yours.  And can you tell me why you gave yourself that name?  
How to name myself???

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-19 11:47:01 |Display all floors
no response?  I do need to know your opinion!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-19 12:11:10 |Display all floors
how about Lily?

Lily Chan LiLi.

your name is beautiful enough as it is.
no need to have an english name.

mine? it's a long story...

once upon a time, there was a .....
he grew up to be a...
then something happened...
he...
she...
they...
but...
finally, to cut the long story short,
it transpired that..
which...
sigh.
the end.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-19 12:14:10 |Display all floors
Be patient, I'm sure some people will respond soon. :) What kind of name would you like? Should it be based on the sound (so that it sounds similar to yours), or start with a certain letter? Or do you want something with the same meaning as your Chinese name, but it doesn't have to sound like your Chinese name? I will give you some ideas if you can answer those questions to help narrow it down.

Personally, if I were to take a Chinese name, I would want the meaning to be more important than the sound. For my son, his name would be easy to say just like it is, so I would just go with the sound so he would be used to hearing it if his new Chinese friends call him by it.

And markwu has a good point, I didn't notice your name might be Lili. If that's your name, it is easy for English speaking people to say because we have a flower called a lily. It is pronounced bit differently, but it's very close. Or your name could be Lee. I know a woman named Lee.
I am not rich.  :L

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-19 13:02:26 |Display all floors
Once I gave myself such an English name, as you said, Lily. But later as time going on, I found it a little bit common.  I want a cool or a meaningful English name:)  Can you understand me?  Anyway, thanks for your suggestions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-19 13:12:34 |Display all floors
English doesn't have the same idea of attaching meaning to names as much as Chinese culture does. Names do have meaning, but no one really pays much attention to them.

I don't think Lily is that common of a name, but it does provoke a nice mental image. If someone said her name was Lily, I would imagine she would be pale, slender, and graceful, kind of like a calla lily.

Other names I can think of off the top of my head: Lillian; Flora... tell us more of what you like. And don't feel bad if the name isn't really all that unique; my Chinese name is 可丽... not very interesting, but I like it anyway. It's me!

[ Last edited by sockmonkey at 2006-3-19 01:14 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-19 13:22:55 |Display all floors
how about Florence then?
Florence Chan LiLi.
why Florence?
your avatar reminds everyone of Florence Nightingale.
who saved so many lives.
Of course, it could also be Elisabeth, but then
someone might write the cheque as Elizabeth,
and then you can't cash it; also,
they may say Lizzy, which points to
lizards.
Then there's Monique, which would seem to say
something mysterious, perhaps plastic.
But that would be better than Abigail,
which conjures fat.
I give up - why am i here?!
do i get any mantou for this effort?

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.