Author: yuxyoo

what 's happened with our college students? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-3-12 20:33:23 |Display all floors
such a  crazy society

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-12 20:39:14 |Display all floors
Originally posted by sockmonkey at 2006-3-12 09:29
Wait, wait, corner... they have too MUCH spare time? How did you come to that conclusion? Spare time means you can relax and do as you please, it doesn't (usually) mean you get stressed and kill yo ...

i mean they have too much private time comparing with that at high school.
as you know, most chinese don't have belief. if they are busy, that's ok,no problem. but in college they have much private time, they can begin to think seriouly about some thing, as the value of live, but before this time teachers alway ask them to believe communism and do contribution to the country, and parents just ask them to get high record in exam,such theory is rubbish in nowaday, so it is very hard for them to understand their value of life,
i just gratuated from university 2 years ago, i think i can understand the situation. college students don't believe anything except themselves, if  they find themselves are not reliable, the only choice is killing themselves.
game over

[ Last edited by corner at 2006-3-12 08:40 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 14:34:06 |Display all floors
in my opinion, they are not brave,they have no courage to face with difficulties.they only way they found to solve this si escape.so they chose to end their life!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-13 20:28:29 |Display all floors

Who is the culprit

Sure the education system should be blamed. But some students thrive on it while others gradually wither. Just think about it.
To be blunt, some college students really need to grow up and get a life...  it seems they didn't deserve their name. They are like... adolescents, who lose the capacity of children's concentration and are lacking the inner resource of adults. They need excitement... so if they feel that life's dull, they are prone to suicide.

[ Last edited by don1985 at 2006-3-13 08:30 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 12:51:04 |Display all floors

College Students & Free Time

sockmonkey, corner is right about the amount of free time.  Chinese students, just like those in the West, have A LOT of free time - much more than they ever could have dreamed of having in high school.  While I wouldn't want to go as far as the US in allowing freedom on campus (think drunken orgies), Liangzai does have a valid point.  Sex is part of a normal, healthy life.  

I think that Chinese students need to find a bigger purpose in life, other than achieving that silly piece of paper.  For many in the west, this weekend's parties is that purpose.  Hopefully Chinese students can find something a bit more meaningful.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 13:08:39 |Display all floors
As a former university student in the states, I could not possibly imagine life on campus without drunken parties and sex. The amount of pressure accumulated during exam week is the sole reason to release oneself after the exams. Frankly, singing kareoke and poking friends at dinner just can't release those tension and stress. Beer, Women, Discussions of Life, Hangovers are the great american university experience.
((EyeOfStorm))
~All that which glitters is not gold~

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-14 13:20:28 |Display all floors

Why China shouldn't blindly follow America....

...at least, I think that was your point.  If it wasn't, it could have (should have) been.

What's wrong with balance?  Why must it be the Chinese (current) way, or the American (excessive) way?  To me, it seems like Ying and Yang, let's meet somewhere closer to the middle.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.