Views: 3872|Replies: 4

A Peaceful Resolution... [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-2-28 05:34:04 |Display all floors
We are all rational people, are we not? With this in mind, we should be searching for a peaceful solution. I think Taiwan should reunite with China, but like Hong Kong keep many of the rights they hold. If I'm not mistaken, China only holds Hong Kong in name. Does China treat the citizens of Hong Kong badly? Have they been stripped of their rights? Have the citizens of Hong Kong been stripped of governing themselves?   You tell me the answers. But instead of calling for a war to reuinte, search for a different way, one in which no one will die.

[ Last edited by tranman1988 at 2006-2-28 05:36 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-28 05:39:48 |Display all floors

civil rights

Reminder: Author is prohibited or removed, and content is automatically blocked

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-28 05:42:51 |Display all floors
Did I say destroy the rights of the Taiwanese? That was you, sacto11. Events can go peacefull so long as people are reasonable, China has made democractic reforms in the past years. It might be hard to call them a true communist state. Yet you want to see a war waged for some reason or another...

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-2-28 09:08:31 |Display all floors

"China only holds Hong Kong in name"

For fifty years...that is the deal...and then the other shoe drops.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-3-1 00:18:25 |Display all floors

HK is a bad example

Originally posted by tranman1988 at 27-2-2006 21:34
Does China treat the citizens of Hong Kong badly? Have they been stripped of their rights? Have the citizens of Hong Kong been stripped of governing themselves?

1. There have been cases of HK pro-democracy radio jockeys quiting due to death threats they received because of their views.

2. HK people don't get to elect their own leader directly - Beijing makes the decision. They don't even get to elect all of their "M.P."s directly.

3. A few years ago Beijing tried to force through a heavy-handed security bill that would have limited their freedoms. It was only when HKers protested loudly that the plan was dropped.

So given that Taiwanese can currently elect their leaders and MPs directly, Hong Kong is an extremely bad example of what unification would bring.
"People are the water, the ruler is the boat; water can carry the boat, but it can also capsize it."

-- Li Shimin (2nd Tang Emperor, "Taizong")

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.