Author: masterkung

India Willing to give the Dragon-Boy a bloody Nose ? [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2007-3-30 13:38:05 |Display all floors
Why is there a need to have a 'showdown' with the Dragon and give it a bloody nose?
xurfnet.blogspot.com

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 13:42:40 |Display all floors
India and China are very strong in different areas in world trade and economics. The west will fear that they may decide to opt together in a strategic partnership.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-3-30 22:06:59 |Display all floors
Originally posted by gobobo at 2007-3-30 13:42
India and China are very strong in different areas in world trade and economics. The west will fear that they may decide to opt together in a strategic partnership.

Very sensible reply, gobobo!

Both India and China are in the same boat. The leadership in both countries know this that is why they are cooperating together and with Russia. These three great nations know that they have to do this for the benefit of all their people.

We should not try to cause divisions where there is none. This is a mischeivous and provocative thread, masterkung. Very naughty of you. Pick on the real troublemakers!
I am Chinese and Proud of it!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 11:53:44 |Display all floors

Reply #10 changabula's post

India is in a different boat!

India has even begun to solve it's own national problems.
It does not have harmonious relationship between its former rulers, the Moslems and the new elite, the Hindus.
it also have tremendous problem of a culture that "leave it to nature"
it's "deathhold" bureacracy is murder to flexibility
the Rich Indians does not work hard enough or creatively enough to improve conditions of the poor.
there is insuffiient resources of all type per capita.

.....and so many more problems.

Green DRagon
Game Master

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 12:46:40 |Display all floors

China

has

wide, modern roads

sewerage and drainage systems

reliable power grid and water supply, piped gas supplies too

law and order enforced

over almost all of the country (except for mountainous areas where we can't go anyway) - certainly in all the towns and cities

Chinese government in clearly investing in the lives and environment of its people

and India is

?
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 13:10:49 |Display all floors

and India is?

India struggles to catch China

By Rupert Wingfield-Hayes
BBC News, Delhi and Beijing

The rapid growth of the Indian and Chinese economies have transformed the two countries in recent years. But this prosperity has also brought other problems.

Heavy investment has turned Beijing into a modern city
I think it was in 2003, that the world suddenly woke up to China.

I am not sure what caused it to happen, what particular event or news story. I just remembered the phone in the BBC's Beijing Bureau started ringing and it has not stopped since.

Well now it is happening again and this time it is not China, it is India.

Every time you turn on the television or pick up a magazine, it is no longer the rise of China, it is now the rise of China and India.

The desire to make comparisons is understandable. Both have more than a billion people. Both are growing at 10% a year.

Delhi is an overwhelming experience. It is as if all of humanity has been squeezed into one city

There are, I suspect, many who are hoping that India, with its freedom and democracy, will win this new race to become the next economic super power. I am not so sure.

I have spent the last eight years living in Beijing, and only four days in Delhi, so comparisons are difficult.

But the few days I recently spent in India made me look at China in a new light.

'Shocking experience'

Over 15 million people live in Delhi

Delhi is an overwhelming experience. It is as if all of humanity has been squeezed into one city.

The streets groan under the weight of people. The air is filled with deafening noise and sumptuous smells.

Switch on the television and it is the same.

Between channels blasting out voluptuous Bollywood love stories and pop videos, an endless stream of news channels dissect the latest political scandals, and debauched lifes of the rich and famous.

Coming from China it is an almost shocking experience.

But after the initial delight at being in an open society, I started to notice other things.

Foreign tourists stared in bewilderment; locals with the resigned look of those used to waiting

The hotel was expensive and bad. In my room I searched for a high speed internet connection, a standard feature in any hotel in China. There was not one.

Then with the night-time temperature still well above 30C (86F) the power went out.

I lay for hours soaked in sweat trying, and failing, to get back to sleep and wishing I was back in Beijing where the lights never go out.

But getting back would not be easy.

Passenger queues

I looked at my plane ticket. Departure time 0315. Surely that could not be right.

I called the front desk. "That's correct sir," he said, "the airport is too small so many flights from Delhi leave in the middle of the night."

He was not joking.

My taxi struggled along the Jaipur road towards the airport.

The two-lane road was clogged by an endless convoy of lorries. Finally I arrived at Indira Gandhi International airport. Despite the hour it was teeming with people.

The queues snaked around the airport and back to where they had started.

Foreign tourists stared in bewilderment. Locals with the resigned look of those used to waiting.

I could not help feeling a sense of relief at being back in a country where things work

"Is it always like this?" I asked a man in the queue ahead of me.

"Pretty much," he sighed.

I was finally shepherded aboard the flight to Shanghai.

Next to me sat a friendly looking Indian man in shorts and running shoes.

"Is this your first trip to China?" he asked me.

"No," I replied, "I live there."

"Really," he said, his interest piqued, "what should I expect?"

"I think," I said, "you should expect to be surprised."

Jaw dropping

Six hours later, our plane taxied to a halt in front of the soaring glass and steel of Shanghai's Pudong International Airport

In Delhi I had been shocked to see thousands of people sleeping rough on the streets every night, nothing but the few rags they slept in to call their own

As we emerged into the cool silence of the ultra-modern terminal, my new companion's jaw slid towards his belly button.

"I was not expecting this," he said, his eyes wide in wonder. "Oh no, I definitely was not expecting this".

I also found myself looking at China afresh.

Later that day as I drove home from Beijing airport along the smooth six-lane highway I could not help feeling a sense of relief at being back in a country where things work.

And it was not just the airports and roads.

Driving through a village on the edge of Beijing I was struck by how well everyone was dressed.

In Delhi, I had been shocked to see thousands of people sleeping rough on the streets every night, nothing but the few rags they slept in to call their own. Even deep in China's countryside that is not something you will see.

In Delhi I had been told of the wonders of India's new economy, of the tens of thousands of bright young graduates churning out the world's latest computer software.

I thought of China's new economy, of the tens of millions of rural migrants who slave away in factories, making everything from plimsolls to plasma televisions.

And of the same rural migrants, heading home to their villages at Chinese New Year festival loaded down with gifts, their pockets stuffed full of cash.

China is not a free society, and it has immense problems. But its successes should not be underestimated.

They are ones that India, even with its open and democratic society, is still far from matching.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2007-4-2 13:22:52 |Display all floors

The above sounds typical

but I disagree where the BBC guy said "But after the initial delight at being in an open society"

How is Indian more "open" than China - he judged that by the Bollywood music on the TV - it seems!

China's got Jolin on TV and you can't get much more open than Jolin

I gave up trying to do anything in India - I had to fill in a heap of government forms, sign to agree to not do about 50 things

for example as an Alien I had to agree not to give gifts to village people!

then in the end they said "Sorry, the government just changed its mind an will not let you work with us"

In China I do not hear "the government", "the government", "the government" all the time

:)
"We know it's weakness, but the weakness is so strong!"

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.