Author: wchao37

1976-2006 -- watershed years to initial prosperity [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-10 22:58:28 |Display all floors

Hi thestud, here's my two cents

Please note that Premier Zhou En-lai was loved and not just respected by the entire Chinese people, and this was something no one else had enjoyed in China's five millennia of recorded history (except perhaps Zhuge Liang).  

You cannot discredit a pivotal historical figure who wielded as much global influence as Zhou did by quoting anecdotal allegations against him.

The passage you are quoting here:

"写罢这封信后,为了让毛泽东确实能够领会自己的一番苦心,周恩来又以央求的口吻,给毛的机要秘书张玉凤附了一张便条":

...shows that it was written by the narrator, not Zhou himself.  

Whether the words were truly attributable to Zhou in the first place is controversial at best.

That is to say, whether the statement "为了让毛泽东确实能够领会自己的一番苦心,周恩来又以央求的口吻" was actually what happened is debatable, and has to be interpreted in the context in which the comment was made.  

One wonders about the basis upon which the narrator staked his claim that he understood Zhou's motivations.

[ Last edited by wchao37 at 2006-1-13 04:57 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 05:12:11 |Display all floors

Revolutionary fervor as stop-gap substitute for nuclear deterent

Remember that the Premier had to tread the ice very carefully under the circumstances -- surrounded as he was by the Gang -- or else he could very well end up the same way as Deng, Liu, Luo and others did.

Remember too the reality on Ground Zero in the international environment.

China had successfully tested her first atomic bomb in October 16, 1964, her first guided missile married to the bomb in 1966 and the first hydrogen bomb in 1967.  It was her most critical period during which time her nuclear facilities were vulnerable to aerial surgical strikes from both the USSR and the US.

In order to create an impression that the entire nation was going militant under one command so that no one would dare launching pre-emptive strikes against her nuclear facilities, a strong centralized authority figure had to be created, one that would then become the best deterent against foreign aggression at a time when China's conventional military-industrial capability or infrastructure was still relatively underdeveloped.  

In other words, revolutionary fervor was to substitute or compensate for technological inadequacy and I believe this was Mao's real reason for launching the CR.  What other gains could he possibly derive by subjecting his own government to relentless, pummeling attacks by the masses?  

I believe Premier Zhou realized this fact and that's why he chose to work in tandem with Mao even though many high officials had to go through wrenching suffering during the CR.  He did his best to save them from the excesses of the Gang of Four and that's why he often appeared not to let his own real thoughts be known in his public pronouncements.

In addition, always remember that worship of the first emperor in each major dynasty was a common phenomenon in traditional China, and this had resulted from the Chinese invention of governing from one point only at the pinnacle.  This was mentioned in the American TV series "The Heart of the Dragon" in the late 1980s.

This invention made prolonged periods of peace and tranquility in a big state with a large population sustainable, and was reflected in the way in which the emperor was worshipped like a God by even his chief administrator or zhai-xiang.

You would know that such loyalty was cherished in Chinese culture if you had read Zhuge Liang's "Qianzusibiao" written to Liu Chan, the son of King Liu Bei of Zu at the end of the East Han Dynasty.

Zhuge Liang was an ace amongst geostrategists, and could have claimed the Zu throne for himself had there been any element of shadiness in his character.  

Instead, he chose to serve the son of Liu Bei simply because he was thinking only about the welfare of the people he was serving and not his own personal considerations.  Due to historical limitations his loyalties seem misplaced in retrospect, for Liu Chan had no capability or any glimmer of hope in ever becoming the unifier of the plains north of Qishan Mountains or the Hanzhong area..  

His loyalty to the people was reflected in his unswerving loyalty to Liu Chan throughout his travail because the Liu name meant a lot those days in rallying people around the Zu flag.

A dauntless character that terrorized even Sima Yi the legendary general from the kingdom of Wei, Zhuge Liang brook no shenanigans and felt absolutely no need to prove his mettle and true grit in any manner other than extreme respectfulness before the Lius.

If the people of Zu were wise enough to understand Zhuge Liang's largesse and rationale two thousand years ago, why should modern Chinese people be expected to have less capacity to understand the mindset of  Zhou Enlai -- their self-effacing premier with the welfare of the people of the entire world in his heart?

[ Last edited by wchao37 at 2006-1-13 05:13 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 07:52:31 |Display all floors

The tempest is coming in his name

Except the Ming Dynasty, which did not have a zhai-xiang due to the personal idiosyncrasies of Zhu Yuan-chan, each major dynastic cycle was characterized by an extremely capable personality totally dedicated to the First Emperor and playing the role of the Indispensable Balancer.

Emperor Qin Huang had Li Si; Han Wu had Dong Zhong-su; Tang Zhong had Wei Jin and Sung Zu had Zhao Pu as their zhai-xiang in the most arduous period of the new regime.  In other words, each of the emperor-zhaixian duo was an inseparable entity accounting for the initial successes of the dynasty.  You must view the Mao-Zhou interaction in the same perspective.  

In other words, it didn't matter who was serving whom in this instance.  Each has his own role to play to propel China forward in the world.  One was the Great Leader and the other was his Indispensable Balancer.  Before the Tsunyi Conference in January, 1935 in Gweizhou, Zhou had in fact been Mao's political superior.

It shouldn't have come as a surprise therefore that Mao Zedong, whose poems often alluded to his self-awareness that he was in the line of succession of these ancient greats, regarded Zhou En-lai as his indispensable zhai-xian after 1935 when the intra-party pecking order was finally taking shape.

In modern China, it was certainly no easy task to be the first zhai-xian of the new Revolutionary Government.  Such a person had to play a delicate balancing act neutralizing all tangential shearing forces that threatened to tear the nation apart with each factional leader claiming to represent the vanguard political impetus of the period.  

Because of China's suffering at the hands of foreign powers since the Opium War, aspirants to positions of power in the Revolutionary Government had to appear onstage as a member of the Extreme Left, and their presence transcended all traditional imagery of power-holders of previous dynasties.  

In outward appearance, such claimants always wore dreary, baggy clothes of the indigents and had none of the trappings of royalties, but in the true essence of their souls, they had no inkling of an idea how to enrich the country economically, nor did they truly know how to return the nation to her past pre-eminence.  In their unguarded moments, they even fancied themselves as rags-to-riches royalties.

While many of the most capable high officials had already been sent away from the power center in Beijing, Zhou En-lai was the only one left who could still make a difference as to what could happen to the few that he could protect, Deng Xiao-ping being an exceptionally capable one amongst them.

His job was rendered more difficult because of his failing health, and in June of 1975, at which time the above note was allegedly written to Mao, he was only six months away from taking his last breath.

I would therefore say that one would be expecting too much of our beloved Premier if his motivation behind every move during this extremely testing period be second-guessed or his every word be scrutinized and used as evidence against the gritty content of his character.

Premier Zhou En-lai -- such a man of dauntless courage is hard to find anytime anywhere.  That's why so many Chinese people came out on their own to cry openly on that stretch of Chang An Boulevard as his hearse slowly passed on the way to Babaoshan.  

The entire nation had wept like a child that day, the day after, and the week after.

The emotive force that his memory engenders in each and every Chinese man and woman on the street is only dormant today.  It is not dead.  Nothing can stand in the way of such an avalanche of righteous wrath.  Not the Taidus, not the Americans, and certainly not the Japanese -- for whose long-term welfare the Premier had painstakingly invested so much of his time and energy.

I can assure you that once the time is ripe and Taiwan Province is back to our rightful embrace, we shall hold the grandest celebration in his honor.

[ Last edited by wchao37 at 2006-1-16 07:46 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 09:35:55 |Display all floors

Reply #13 wchao37's post

Thxs Mr Chao

Now i understand more about this group and will not say anymore.

BTW, i see you have good background on history. I get good grades in History and Goegraphy. So we have common matters to shares. And you know China details better.

Maybe you can help me. During Emperor Kangxi rule, there was a capable Prime Minister from Fujian. His surname is Lee. Understand his residence in Fujian has been restored and opened to the public. Hope you can find some details to know a little about my family history.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 10:40:14 |Display all floors

Reply #18 caringhk's post

Take a look at this thread:

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=c ... ;hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Hope that you are not a descendant of Lee Tenghui, who also had Hakka roots in the province of Fujian.

So is Chen Shui-bian.

Good luck.

Strange that I came back to write a post and all of a sudden students from Six Horses State think of me as their personal guru.

Zionists and Taidus are not allowed to look at my posts.  

Leave!!!  

No, of course not you caringhk, I need you to stay around and rub my back.

Right here, that's it.  

Go slow.

Thanks.

[ Last edited by wchao37 at 2006-1-13 05:41 AM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 11:22:27 |Display all floors

Reply #19 wchao37's post

Sure am not them for am of Hokkien ancestory.

Could not find as the list is about present or past one generation but am looking at about 13-14th generation. If i can remember correctly, does the name Lee Kong Tek rings a bell? My grandma before she passes away at 95 many years back,spent some nights at my home and saying she was a princess before.
What's on your mind now........ooooooooooooooo la la....Kind Regards

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-11 12:28:47 |Display all floors

Reply #20 caringhk's post

I know no one can horse around with Chief Six Horses.

Lee Kong Tek?

I know a Dr. Lee King Tak.  Does that ring a bell?

Ring ring ring ring..... ring ring.

Hello, King Tek?  Someone is looking for Kong Tek.  Do you know him?

No?

Why don't you throw away that birth certificate and change the spelling of your middle name so that I don't have to look further in "askjeeves"?

He says his grandma mentioned that she was a virgin princess at age 95 and I believe him.

No, I am not swearing.  I said I knew thetooth when I heard it from Six Horses.

No no, not sick horses......Six Horses, upper case S and H

No I am not asking you to pay for shipping and handling.

Yes I am only asking that you give Dildoo DooLittle a try after you receive it C.O.D. from the Chief.

Come on, just because you have heard about King Kong doesn't mean your king is that kong.

Don't hang up on me, you idiot....I am not finished......

That is....

unless you are a Z man

Then you can twist any farce into a fact.

In that case, I know you ARE Lee Kong Tek.

And I am going to hang up right now.

Try it.  Satisfaction guaranteed.

300 percent certainty.

You bet.

[ Last edited by wchao37 at 2006-1-11 03:54 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.