Author: raymondusa

Taiwan: Stop Trading with China [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2006-1-7 09:08:05 |Display all floors
What confidence are you talking about? If this is about confidence in dealing with the debt problem, then that has nothing to do with this. As has been mentioned before, that is about fiscal prudence.

Effective independence. Well, ah, geez that would have to be just about all of the real aspects of independence. Such as a separate judiciary, political system, military, leadership, etc. Taiwan even has "consulates" that do most of the work of an embassy. Taiwan only lacks formal diplomatic recognition from a majority of governments. But that doesn't change the fact that Taiwan can make its own domestic policy, while trading with the world.

And don't go on about that nonsense about trade reliance again, otherwise small countries that rely on bigger ones for their markets can't be independent either.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 09:16:17 |Display all floors
It's not nonsense.  Heavy trade reliance and Taiwan's debt problems are decreasing its leverage.   That's practical and real world, so get uses to it!   Diplomatic recognition is the thing CSB wants because he wants legitimacy!    But he doesn't have the leverage to get it, since wanting and getting is two different things!   

Thanks for the laughs!     Effective independence, with a cord attached to Mommy!     ROTFLMAO!!!!!!!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 09:23:31 |Display all floors
I have been laughing at your wacky suggestions about Taiwan cutting off trade with the mainland since post #1.

I said it before and I'll say it again - whatever Taiwan's future political status (be it fully unified or independent) it will always trade with the mainland. Thus your primary point about Taiwan having to break off trade is rather odd.

Yes, of course Chen wants diplomatic recognition, as it would be icing on the cake. But in reality nothing in Taiwan would significantly change whether he ever got it or not. So that in of itself isn't that important. Also that was not what you were talking about to begin with.

Well I'm glad you find the subject of Taiwan's political status amusing because it certainly causes a lot of headaches for Beijing.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 09:24:12 |Display all floors

"Taiwan: Stop Trading with China"

If the labor was not so cheap, I am sure the whole world would stop trading with China.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 09:28:33 |Display all floors

ray

Please amuse yourself with fish - I'm rather tired of our circular discussions.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 09:30:53 |Display all floors
fish:

The world can go the India, Latin America, Africa, etc.  But they would miss the consumption of China, with over 40% GDP savings rate.  Yet another example of practical real world decision making, trumping political ideology.   

mencius:

Nothing different?  Hum.....that's too naive for me to comment!    I cannot make this stuff up since you do just fine revealing how little you know!  Effective independence with a cord attached to Mommy!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2006-1-7 09:37:29 |Display all floors
Nothing different?  Hum.....that's too naive for me to comment!    I cannot make this stuff up since you do just fine revealing how little you know!  Effective independence with a cord attached to Mommy!

One last time - small countries relying on larger countries for trade does not mean that they cannot be independent. If you say that Taiwan is not independent because it relies on China for trade, then by your logic China is not independent either because it relies on external energy supplies (and that trend will only increase). So in that case the only independent countries in the world are those that produce all of their essential requirements - and in a modern world I don't think any nation has that qualities.

So none of us are indepedent - we're all dependent on each other!

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.