Author: ptbptb

对第十七届“韩素音青年翻译奖”赛(汉译英)的批评 [Copy link] 中文

Post time 2005-12-13 20:54:37 |Display all floors

请教

Originally posted by courage at 2005-12-7 21:23
May i send a word to you all?
Well, go for  what you've been pursuing and stick to the principles of everything that is normally going, you will make it ,at last.

1、send a word to you all 什么意思?
2、principles of everything that is normally going?我怎么看不懂?

是不是我太笨了?

另关于:各位同仁,务必吃透原文,切勿贪图译文的华丽,此之为译者之大忌!

吃透原文这是应该做到的。但你总的指导思想是有问题的。你这一套不能做到与时俱进,况且英译汉与汉译英并不是只有中国人在做,标准也绝不是中国几个老家伙说话了,全世界就点头了的。必须做到具体情况,具体对待!

译文的文采应与原文的文采很接近,恰到好处。原文没文采写得不好的,估计翻译的价值也很小了。一般原文都很有文采的,都写得很地道的。没有文采那叫什么?没有文采那叫半成品。另外根据你的说话,可以推断出理解错误原来是“贪图译文的华丽”造成的?如果不贪图译文的华丽,就能吃透原文了?

[ Last edited by coolmax at 2005-12-13 09:08 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-14 13:30:27 |Display all floors

Really appreciate the comments that deserve deep thoughts

I really appreciate the post that give in-depth analysis to the present translation     arena. The wonderful comments depict a prevailing trend or phenomenon in         every  corner of  China. A nation that is flighty and rash starts with those in the political and scientific fields. The phenomenon is formed in a slow process and needs a long period of time to change. Actually those so-called technical authorities or celebrities sometimes are good for nothing. They are out there simply for fame and money.

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-14 19:59:59 |Display all floors

Translation, what veils are you wearing??

Originally posted by nyleda at 2005-12-13 13:56
现在我相信CD翻译赛的译文就是署名教授自己的作品,就跟这个HSY比赛的标准译文一样。又想起《聊斋》里面一个故事,说有和尚会用鼻子嗅出文章好坏来。我猜把这些标准译文烧成灰让这和尚闻,一定薰他半死。

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-16 12:03:01 |Display all floors
Lasthermit 的评论:

5)“out of anticipation”=“WITH anticipation”,用来译“岂知八十岁又过了”,本来是错的。可是,既然译者“dreamed of living to be eighty”,那么,活到八十岁便是意料中事。所以“out of anticipation”是歪打正着!下面的“I had hit it”=come to exactly the right place, point, or conclusion (Shorter Oxford)。两一句连起来就是“果然不出我所料,给我蒙对了!”
------------------------

这个意见很值得重视。参考译文用“out of my anticipation" 来表达”没想到“,其实英文的意思正好相反,英文直译是“由于我的期盼”。全弄拧了!

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-17 13:58:15 |Display all floors

小屋之中天地阔 老年无事是忙人。

小屋之中天地阔 老年无事是忙人。
The world is vast though in the house very small; The old become jobless, yet now most active of all.  ( 集体讨论审定, 萧立明执笔 )

Small as my house is, it is my big world, retired as I am, I am still busily occupied.  (by rovi297)

My little house is my universe; busy as ever, retired from work, but not retired from life. (by The Yeti)

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-17 14:05:24 |Display all floors

老来乐:标题,第一段[中译英]

老来乐
The Joys of Old Age

六十整岁望七十岁如攀高山。不料七十岁居然过了。又想八十岁是难于上青天,可望不可即了。岂知 八十岁又过了。老汉今年八十二矣。这是照传统算法,务虚不务实。现在不是提倡尊重传统吗 ?
At sixty, crossing over to 70 seemed a difficult hurdle. But there I was, at seventy, thinking that surviving to eighty was an impossible dream. To my surprise, I am now 82-- an inflated number based on traditional calculation. But then, are we not reviving respect for traditions nowadays?

(by The Yeti of the Treasure Island English Corner, rainlane.com)

click the name in blue to visit the original webpage for more... and you won't regret. trust me.

[ Last edited by nyleda at 2005-12-17 06:21 PM ]

Use magic tools Report

Post time 2005-12-24 09:15:49 |Display all floors
It is almost certain that Chinglish results partly from a poor understanding of English.

Use magic tools Report

You can't reply post until you log in Log in | register

BACK TO THE TOP
Contact us:Tel: (86)010-84883548, Email: blog@chinadaily.com.cn
Blog announcement:| We reserve the right, and you authorize us, to use content, including words, photos and videos, which you provide to our blog
platform, for non-profit purposes on China Daily media, comprising newspaper, website, iPad and other social media accounts.